Dragon Bf110E

mozart

I wanted to trial-fit the Quickboost resin exhausts now that the nacelles are finished, but had problems with the fragility of the resin when removing them from the casting blocks and cleaning them up: two survived intact but two broke despite my best efforts!  Fitting them onto thin plastic strip makes them more robust and easier to fit:

l22nUe.jpg

A couple of my favourite pictures of Bf110Es, so much detail to study here and reflecting pretty much where I am with the build - the wings are on (beautiful precision fit), the u/c, nacelles and details complete so I'm starting to think about painting and the finish that I hope to achieve.  What's notable from these pictures is just how matte the paint finish is and relatively little in the way of wear or chipping.  Prop blades were RLM70 Black green.

GIzejO.jpg

w7uC7y.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

Perhaps a fracture in the pipe Mike?  Just goes to show how important it was to get the waste oil away!

I've just spent a very satisfying and productive couple of hours.  How to achieve a scale realistic finish on a black machine has been occupying my mind so I started experimenting this morning.  I ordered some MIG black primer 3 years or so ago but couldn't get on with it for some reason (my ineptitude no doubt!) so I tried it today on my hack Hurricane....it sprayed well and gave a good matte finish.  On top of that I sprayed some areas of MRP RLM 75, Grey Violet as shown on the starboard wing (though I did both wings), clearly too light for faded areas!  I then did a 50/50 mix of MRP NATO Black and Dark Earth which I applied to the port wing and I was able to get variation of intensity and depth, subtle but what I am aiming for:

DY37jn.jpg

Max

That's a good experiment, thank you for sharing it with us.  I like the look!

Gaz

I've gone one step further now Gaz, very lightly sanded the surface which gives it a worn look.  Photographs probably wouldn't show it sufficiently to be able to appreciate the difference.

Max

She's looking great up on her legs Max! She is a big model! I like your paint mixture test, be interesting to see how it looks.  :thumbsup:

Dan

Quite sturdy as well Dan though I'm terrified of knocking bits off.  Makes me realise just how big the Lanc is going to be, b*****y enormous!  I'm off to Turkey for a fortnight as from next Monday so she's not going to progress too much further, perhaps a bit of canopy masking etc but I don't want to get too heavily into painting yet.

Great fix on the pipes.  I love those reference photos... maybe not oil on the tires?  I was thinking they were wet from the snow.

Yes John, the photos are simply marvellous, full of detail not to mention the human element which always interests me.  Could be snow, though the way the crewman is standing looking makes me think it's more than that.....but we'll never know!  A mystery forever.

Max