Dragon Bf110E

mozart

Just catching up after a week in the sun Max, wonderful progress on the cockpit. What did you use for the wear and paint chipping as it looks very subtle indeed!

Regards. Andy

I've just arrived for a week in the snow Andy, but it's sunny too!  

All my painting except detail work (for which I use Vallejo Model Color acrylics) is done with MRP acrylic lacquers which spray beautifully thin layers straight from the bottle, so it's just a build up of different layers of paint starting with a thinnish black base.  I can then spray with varying degrees of intensity to try to achieve the effect that I want.  There's also very dilute Indian ink run around the edges of frames etc to give them some definition, then finally a little dry brushing for subtle highlights or wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been moving steadily along with the build, though a bout of flu slowed proceedings somewhat!  The cockpit area is complete, seatbelts courtesy of RB Productions (they really are the best!) and the end result is rather pleasing to my jaundiced eye!!

ugoma5.jpg

PF5XDy.jpg

Closing up the fuselage was very straightforward.  The fit of all the parts is very precise and accurate but that's not to say that lots of dry fitting, trimming before gluing and (something that I'm increasingly finding beneficial) applying glue in small stages all helps with the fit, such that minimal amounts of filler and sanding is required.
2hStEh.jpg
MF7Rw9.jpg
pWJh75.jpg
rbr5YS.jpg
6NCOFd.jpg
JhByvM.jpg

It's ironic though that the construction of some of Herr Messerschmitt's aircraft means that a seam needs to be visible down the length of the fuselage, an absolute "No No" usually for us modellers!  I'm working on the wings right now and some refinements to the undercarriage, more soon I hope.
Max
Edited by mozart

That is exceptional. 

Thanks Gerhard, it's taken a while but been so much fun   :mental: to do, even the fiddly seat belts which were a day's work!

like the 109's the 110 joints were puttied up

Agreed Shawn, but still visible:

1tyhZd.jpg

Max, the pit looks awesome!

Cheers Shaka, I love detailing cockpits and engines.....both of which are usually covered up!  Must be the masochist in me.  :hmmm:

Very nice work on the cockpit!

Gaz

Getting into training for the more complicated G-4 cockpit Gaz!

Looking great Max! Your not messing around with this one! :thumbsup:

Dan

It's a kit that just shouts at you "Move on!!" Dan! It's standing on the workbench right now with the wings and engines dry fitted but sadly it'll be Sunday before I have the chance to do anything much more. Edited by mozart

All looking rather nice Max, excellent work on the cockpit and looks like the fuselage halves join togethere nicely.

Regards. Andy

Yes it's going along swimmingly Andy, but see below!