TBF-1C Trumpeter 1/32

DirkE

Ok, back on track.

Since my plan is to redo all those rivets, I thought its a good time to try out the stressed skin effect. I used a blade #15 and slightly scratched along the rivet/panel lines. Sanding is neccessary, since I filled up the rivets. I tried to get a subtle effect. With paint on it, its hard to see.

Anyway. It took my around 30 min, to get one side done. So the other side and the wings...I should be done with this step within the next days (yeah, I also have a job, a wife and a 5yo daughter).

And then I will start to add the rivets.

20180128_115041.jpg

20180128_165411.jpg

20180128_165425.jpg

Stil working on the engine from HPH. I think I will install this one (left one the photo, because it has more details).

20180126_120340.jpg

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

done with filling up the rivets. So, some need to be filled up completly, so I can put those wet transfer rivets on top of them.

Others are just filled up until they replicate the flush-riveting in the forward fuselage and trailing edges of the wings. With a bit more sanding it should look ok. Stress effects are very subtle.

P1000912.jpg

P1000913.jpg

Dirk

started to set the rivets. This is the "work" of around 3 hours. Different sizes go down well. I don´t know how it will look once painted, but so far I have a good feeling. Rivets up front (to the right) are flushed not raised. Some horizonzal ones are still missing.

Inked20180207_124625_LI.jpg

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

That's just lovely!

I filled all of mine with CA and sanded the fuselage smooth except for the panel lines themselves as all the sanding reduced them nicely. Came out really nice, but totally put me off going any further when I looked at those big wings.....should have done what you did!

Keep up the great work it inspires me to look at the wings again, LOL

Cheers

Anthony

Very nice work Dirk! It's coming along very nicely! I'm curious how those flush rivets will turn out. I like the idea. I've thought about taking the rivet tool from UMM - USA and doing them individually which would be a never ending task it seems. I'll have to experiment with your method. What did you do to get the flush groove in the rivets?

Very nice work Dirk! It's coming along very nicely! I'm curious how those flush rivets will turn out. I like the idea. I've thought about taking the rivet tool from UMM - USA and doing them individually which would be a never ending task it seems. I'll have to experiment with your method. What did you do to get the flush groove in the rivets?

I used Perfect Plastic Putty, since its easy to remove with water. So I filled up the rivet holes with that putty, waited 3-5 minutes and wiped the excess of the surface with a moist cloth or q-tip. While doing that, I used a little pressure on the rivets and removed some putty in those holes. That way they were not level with the rest of the surface and a bit recessed. Feel free to ask more questions. But since this is the first time I am doing this, I am not an expert. The final result will tell us if this way I choose is ok.

Lots of focus there.

'I don´t know how it will look once painted'

Not that I know so much, but I do.  There are too many indentations to expect perfection after the first draft.  Paint the area to see what it will look like before you put on the rivets.  Then sand over it as many times as needed.  Then sand again to expose the rivet pattern.  Then lay your rivets.

I've got the t-shirt.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mark