1/32 Sea Vixen

Breaker

Looks like one I'll give a miss then. If it came with the resin, I'd be all over it but I'd struggle with the landing gear and cockpit. 

when PMC was still in production, they offered these resin AM parts, but that was not with the initial release, so at that time it was only vacform heaven...... :innocent:

So when the company folded, they offered several kits as a final gesture, and these could be bought with the AM resin parts.

(btw, same goes/was  for the 1/32 scale Fairey Firefly release....)

Edited by Jack

I had the PMC Sea Vixen and it would be a challenging build. It is certainly not Dynavector quality. I seem to remember some big issues with the lack of symmetry between the aft fuselage and the nose not being quite right. That said with a lot of work you could certainly use it as a base for a Sea VIxen.

BarracudaCals had a beautiful walk-around type of book on the Sea Vixen. I got one a few years ago from Roy's own hands, in Telford. I cannot find it on their website, but it may still be available from elsewhere. The book is an excellent resource for anyone building a Sea Vixen. See a review here: https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/bookreviews-aircraft-dehavillandseavixen-faw12 

HTH 

Radu 

+1 on the Barracuda book - it's all you need.

As for the kit, I had both the Firefly and Vixen with the resin parts for both, and after building the Firefly, I sold the Vixen. I'm glad that Roy produced them, as no one else has, but they require a shed load of work and are nothing like as straightforward as building a Falcon or Dynavector vacform.  I have another Firefly and one day I might build another, but the first one took me a year and there is still plenty wrong with it.  None of the resin fitted and most of it I junked, including the undercarriage and wheels, prop and spinner, exhausts, etc. I don't know if the Vixen resin was any better, but looking at it I had my doubts. 

Here's the Firefly:

a51e4391-cece-474f-9e0d-c820ee1b17fe.JPG

Trumpeter is releasing a Sea Vixen early next year in 1/48. 

I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that could make it up to 1/32 at some point. 

If the past is anything to show... they released the 1/72 Mig-29 family of new tools, then scaled those up to 1/32. 

-Anthony 

The Firefly 5 is up on deck for finishing as soon as I get the next (Navy) edition of the Skyraider conversion done.If I live long enough there are a couple Fleet Air Arm jets I started in on years ago that might see the light of day....

yeah but your Firefly release would be totally different from the one PMC provided, type wise ....i'm looking forward to it....

I found my copy of the Baracuda Vixen book. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere at the moment, which is a great shame. Each part of the airframe is covered with large  format, clear photos: Here's a selection:

resized_8c9ae6d5-41ac-4066-a566-9fa210fe

resized_88cdfe86-649e-402c-bab1-8fc261dd

Perhaps Roy could be persuaded to re-print if a new kit is released.

Great news from Paul on progress on his Firefly 5. I know that most people think that the later Fireflies are aesthetically more appealing, but personally I much prefer the brutish appeal of the Mk 1. I also find the service history of the Mk 1 more interesting (Norway, BPF, Korea). However, given the quality of his kits, I would definitely buy a Mk 5 from Paul Fisher. His Sea Fury is one of the most pleasurable kits I've built.  It was a sanity restoring project after the trials and tribulations of the PMC Firefly Mk 1:

a57073a5-5ebc-4eb0-9616-3321393768a9.JPG