Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

• 4 weeks later...

Milestone tonight. I got my feet wet with my Silhouette Cameo cutter and made a (test) mask for the insignia. Because this is really how the planes were painted, the realism is very high. I just did this on a semi unpainted unfinished wing just to learn the deal. I have made masks in the past (long long ago) but never with a cutter. It’s pretty amazing 1yiMrT.jpg

F0uxsQ.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

navigation light (port side) , bombs, and 20mm Cannon added tonight. 
 The light is first a painted red piece of wire, then coated carefully with 5 minute epoxy. Cannons are aluminum tube. Bomb is aftermarket (and secured with tiny magnets for optional load outs. 

lJ2QHZ.jpg

The Cannon are what make the F8F-1 an F8F-1B.  The markings I plan on using are shown on an F8F-1 but I’m taking a little liberty to update that plane to a B (they were retrofits). I have no idea if it was or was not, but I really want this Bear to bristle. 

• 2 months later...

Coming up on 6 years. It’s fairly blue and most big errors are corrected. Still lots of scribing to do. Ughhh. 

uacaLi.jpg

in other news I’ve been sailing this summer and last week I sailed with this guy (Mike Overton)  I had never met (friend of friend). Apparently, His father was an ace with David McCampbell’s   famous Hellcat Squadron VF-15. Lt. Overton is pictured among other pilots who combined to total 310 aerial kills in just 6 months. Overton is front row looking down. McCampbell’s Plane behind them (photo cropped). I’d love to find reference to his plane and do it in 1/24 with the Airfix kit I have. I’m really taken by how amazing the Hellcat was now that I can feel its history a little more intimately. 

21oNAp.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, Jim Barry said:

Bearcat visit! . Nice. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in person. This, (conquest 1)  I believe was once painted in Smirnoff sponsor colors. It was at one time the speed record holder. Rare Bear took the new record. aUtSwZ.jpg

If this is the only Bearcat you have ever seen, then you have never seen a Bearcat.