Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

1 hour ago, Jim Barry said:

OBG, whatcha working on these days? 

The contractors are out of the house finally so much of my time is spent trying make sense of the new rooms - like why nothing fits like I thought it would.  My bench is back up, shelves are in (but I need more), I’ve found most of my building supplies, etc.  The spaces are usable but there is still a long way to go.  Model-wise, I’ve been working in fits and starts to see if I can improve on Revell’s ancient F4F.  The kit itself really is not that bad for its age and all but still needs a little help.  R2D’s fast fix engine front has already added a lot.  It ain’t a Bearcat but kinda looks like one in the dark if you squint just right.  Speaking of which, I actually sat in Corky Fornoff’s stock Bearcat at an airshow in Kissimmee, Florida a bazillion years ago when things like that were allowed.  I remember almost nothing about the experience other than he squatted on the wing and pointed things out and that it was painted a couple of shades of dark red that I was pretty sure I could never model.  I don’t remember paying anything for the experience.  It did loops and rolls like all the other airplanes except maybe louder.  I am building when I can.  It’s just that most of my builds, unlike yours and others, are so bad that even my six year old grandkid doesn’t want any of them.

14 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Rainy day at the new bench. I feel like I’m going nowhere just fixing all the little things that need fixing, but it must be done. Today I’ve been doing the control surfaces and the landing gear doors. MH0eCv.jpg

This photo is most deceiving!  The camera makes the model look no bigger than 1/48.  I’m with Jay - there is nothing in my entire house as neat as your work top.  Seems so unmodelerly.

To be honest this is a neatness stage I’m in after spending the winter remodeling this interior of my DIY “tiny house”  workshop. It has formerly has its messy era (leading to a desire to make it Danish/Swiss perfect) . The rear shelves will probably be rebuilt. Sort of feeling out if I like the set up. qjTsuR.jpg

BqufZn.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jim Barry said:

To be honest this is a neatness stage I’m in after spending the winter remodeling this interior of my DIY “tiny house”  workshop. It has formerly has its messy era (leading to a desire to make it Danish/Swiss perfect) . The rear shelves will probably be rebuilt. Sort of feeling out if I like the set up. qjTsuR.jpg

BqufZn.jpg

What a wonderful and lovely shop.  I am very envious.  About those shelves: I have used similar ones in the past and found that they are as likely to fall off the wall of their own accord as not.  No idea why; they just come undone and everything ends up on the floor.  And with this eclipse on the way, anything is possible.

Wow, this is an absolutely beautiful place for modelling!
I'm like Buffalo Bill in the movie "The Silence of the Lambs", because I work in the cellar...  :wicked:

Thanks! It's been a real life goal to retire into a modeling space and spent years on this project (with an amazing amount of procrastination!). You know it's not so bad in the cellar. I also build in the cellar and find myself very productive. No daydreaming looking outside! 

Buffalo Bill (LOL) 

17 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

About those shelves: I have used similar ones in the past and found that they are as likely to fall off the wall of their own accord as not. 

I have shelves like that too and if you have metal L brackets, they shouldn't be a problem.

Mine have books on them (yeah books are heavy) and they're fine. The shelves themselves

are bowed a little but no problem ... yet.

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I have shelves like that too and if you have metal L brackets, they shouldn't be a problem.

Mine have books on them (yeah books are heavy) and they're fine. The shelves themselves

are bowed a little but no problem ... yet.

I wonder if it has to do with weight?  It could be that your books weigh enough that the brackets can’t work their way up and out of the tracks whereas my models did not and ended up on the floor.  Or maybe I had ghosts.  Whatever the reason, I haven’t used them since.