Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

White decal paper and my inkjet printer. Image from the net and then scaled to size. Printers won’t print white so I have white paper (not clear) which means the work on edges is difficult when it’s black ( as in this case). I’ll spray decal lacquer over this to protect the ink from the eventual dip into water. 

Edited by Jim Barry

33 minutes ago, Jim Barry said:

White decal paper and my inkjet printer. Image from the net and then scaled to size. Printers won’t print white so I have white paper (not clear) which means the work on edges is difficult when it’s black ( as in this case). I’ll spray decal lacquer over this to protect the ink from the eventual dip into water. 

Something worth trying next time is to print just the black parts on clear decal, and then apply them to a white circle on the model that you masked and sprayed. You can make the white circle just a tiny bit smaller than the decal, which will then obviate the need to trim the decal precisely.

Kev

Thanks for describing that Kevin. Yes! I've done that technique with US and German insignia in 1/144 (and the centers of the Fury's roundels I think?).  In this case, with the dark midnight blue plane, it's going to be almost impossible to see there is a black circle, so there's not really a lot of issues here as long as I trim white off.  It's kind of ironic how you have to be lazy sometimes with scratch or you'll never finish the project (IMO). :)

Just a note, and maybe I'm wrong, but blank decal paper (clear and white) made specifically for models is rare these days. It was a Testors product (and I still have some), but it's gone now. Micro-mark online store does have something that looks as good. I'd shy away from just generic "decal" products as it's likely thick 

Edited by Jim Barry

I’m not making stretch goal of finishing by year end, but that’s probably for the best. Spent some quality time on surface work yesterday. It’s ridiculous how much time this has cost me. 

I was sitting this morning reading fine scale modeler (which seems to be catching up on 3D Printing as a thing). The back cover had an ad for Tamiya F-35 and it looked so amazing, I wondered what scale it was and in bold letters it said 1/24. What???! Tamiya 1/24 aircraft? This is gonna break me! But nothing on the net was supporting this. In finer print it said 1/48…of course. My wallet is so happy. (I compulsively must have every major type of 1:24 kit in my collection) 

As for decaling with white paper Jim - that is what I do too.  Except - I apply the clear lacquer over the decals before, not after, I cut them out.  As a result, sometimes the decal will bleed around the edges.  Silly me - why didn't I think of that?  Either way though, I am not a fan of home made decals, but what are you gonna do?

There is a decal paper I have found that is good (better than Testors) -  Bare Metal Foil "Experts-Choice".  It comes in clear or white. 

Edited by JayW

Thanks. It’s actually getting an overhaul here soon. Yeah, time limits. If you read the first post here I think I said I would be done in 3 months hopefully. We are at 62……clearly I’m just hot air on these statements! I’d like to do better here. 

5 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Thanks. It’s actually getting an overhaul here soon. Yeah, time limits. If you read the first post here I think I said I would be done in 3 months hopefully. We are at 62……clearly I’m just hot air on these statements! I’d like to do better here. 

Word of caution for when you overhaul your work space:  I’d stay away from those modular shelves with the adjustable hardware like you have on the wall to the left.  They can be really handy but I’ve had a couple of them disassemble themselves for no reason in the middle of the night and dump models and other stuff on the floor or onto whatever was on my bench with disastrous results.  I don’t trust ‘em and stopped using them years ago.  Just sayin’ ‘cause I’d hate to see your Bearcat get squashed.

Getting  bluer. I felt guilty working on the Bf 109 project and returned to  #1 in the pattern  to wrap up the day. There is still so much work to get the surface right. I actually had a moment of despair TBH, but then rallied with some dose of hope knowing it just happens. 

QSsYf0.jpg