1/32 Trumpeter F-14A Tomcat

Mark Jackson

I was just about to say keep calm and drink tea, but you came to that conclusion all by yourself.

Sometimes it is beneficial to walk away from a project, at least for a little while.  Drink a cuppa, do some gardening, have a walk, start another (easier) project, whatever helps to clear your head.  Then and only then do you reconsider.

2 hours ago, scott_t said:

Zactomodels makes replacement wing bladders in resin …..swept wing and forward wing …..they are really nice

I can attest to this, took delivery of Zacto's intakes and bladders fairly recently and they really are beautiful...

Edited by Subodai

If you want my advice, for what it’s worth, just build it and enjoy it - warts and all. 

It’s so easy to get bogged down trying to correct every last detail, but then there’s the real risk of burn out and losing motivation. At the end of the day, this is shaping up to be a stunning model regardless of the inaccuracies, and the extra detailing you are adding will take it to the next level anyway. 

The vast majority of us won’t know what the ‘inaccuracies’ are as most could just about tell the main difference between the A/D models and that’s about it - I say crack on and enjoy!

Tom

On 8/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mark Jackson said:

So I'm going try an old remedy which is popular here in England - put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.  This has been known to get problems with car engines solved, building hitches unhitched and even heated arguments placated.

Better solution than the maintenance fix for everything: Hit it till it works. I hope you keep going with it, I'll need some inspiration/tips for when I do mine!

• 3 weeks later...

"The more you look - the less you'll see."  Movie quote from Now you see me 

I no longer trust decal manufacturers 100%.  I have decal sheets with incorrect Bureau numbers, markings, omitted names, data and misleading information.  My web browser is smokin from scouring images, cruise books, squadron histories and smaller scale decal/instruction sheets, not to mention actual books.  I know full well that airframes can change squadron, markings come and go, often there are CAG schemes that appear when the air wing is feet dry and not schedule to cruise for a year or two.  Upgrades happen and block differences are not always set in stone due to mods made with parts that are available.  Basically what I am saying is that I still am unable to pick a decal scheme.  The model's airframe is complete, the front fuselage and radome are in place and the cockpit is also looking acceptable after hours of work.  

50314891878_2460a50745.jpg

FWIW, I'd just go with the decals you like, rather than worrying about accuracy.  That's what I did with my F-5E in my sig pic, because nobody makes decals for black Adversaries in 1/32 scale, which is also likely why I've never seen another (yet).

While some around here might notice "inaccuracies", I bet 95% of the public won't know or won't care.  Pick the decals you like the look of and stick those babies on.  With your level of modeling skills, your model will still look terrific!  ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Mark, this is such a great ride so far, don’t give up! 

With my Trumpeter Cat I stopped paying attention to the myriad little inaccuracies and focused correcting just the major ones. Tomcats look beautiful when finished so the result makes it worthwhile. I’ll actually be building the Tamiya F-14 once I am finished with my current Mig build, I’m looking forward to comparing.

Cheers,

Marcel

I have to agree with what's been said so far, you've put this much time and effort into her, don't get stymied by a "no lift" that should be "here" instead of "there." You can always say it was a recent tail swap to the squadron, and hasn't had time to go through paint barn yet! (That happens all the time in the heavy world, we had a tanker assigned here at Mildenhall that was sporting Fairchild markings for a good month-6 weeks)

Edited by Crew Dog

• 11 months later...

What DACO book? 
‘Title and author, PLEASE! 

I’m an ex-I-level Tomcat Tweeker. I worked on the L boxes but mostly Port side Avionics bay, (also included AWG-9 Antenna, antenna controller, RIO display stuff).