WNW Fokker DVII F, Eric Just

cbk57

Hello All

I have been working on this for several months.  I finally became motivated to do this kit when I found out about the Aviatic Lozenge decals and how you could paint underlying effects and have them show through on the kit.  I wanted to represent the stringers and the slightly visible framing that makes up the D VII fuselage.  Hints of the tubing is subtly modeled into the kit to the point it is almost impossible to find.  I painted the areas to be covered in white then penciled in the detail I wanted to show and finally added a gloss coat.  I photographed as I went so have quite a few images to show as I built it up.  I found this to be the most fiddly of the WNW kits so far as the landing gear connections are tinny and fragile as well as some of the bracing for the wings.  Normally I would sell the kit as soon as it is done but I just don't feel that I can ship this and be confident of it going somewhere in one piece.  I may have to keep this one in the end.  I also tried to strengthen the landing gear with fishing line but even though I thought I had the line tight when I glued it up, the line still sagged a little.

So here we go.  I wanted to show before and after as these are incredible decals, we the wing first.

DSCN1092_zpsh0yckhuf.jpg

Now for the motor

DSCN1124_zpsgvzizdje.jpg

Then comes the fuel tank with a little weathering

DSCN1130_zps22tiri4f.jpgDSCN1131_zpsebqn9hq6.jpg

Now for the firewall

DSCN1133_zpsjxt4tjwa.jpg

The dash looks like it should have a reddish tinge to me or cherry so this is what I did.

DSCN1134_zpsh0xb7gj9.jpg

Cockpit coming together

DSCN1137_zpsqshgtdju.jpgDSCN1138_zps0r9vn6tw.jpg

The fuselage coming together.  One neat thing about aviation lozenge is that with the D VII it seems there are darker strips along the edges as of the Lozenge, I achieved this effect simply by overlapping my layers of decal a little.

DSCN1144_zpsrq02fdki.jpg

Finally finished, could do more weathering, but she is built.

DSCN1152_zpsv1tibb2l.jpg

DSCN1153_zpsksmldk3s.jpg

DSCN1154_zpskyt5lceu.jpg
DSCN1155_zpscnse9wul.jpg

DSCN1158_zpserge0p8f.jpg

DSCN1159_zpsodhy3hyq.jpg

Edited by cbk57

Nicely done Sir!

Agreed with regards to the Aviattic lozenge decals. They're absolutely brilliant and you've used them to good effect.

I also used 2lb fishing line to brace the undercarriage assembly on my Fokker DVII. If the line has a little bit of slack, it can be tightened quite easily by applying a bit of heat to one end or both. Heat a small flat bladed screwdriver in a candle flame and the carefully bring the tip of the screwdriver blade close to the line. You'll actually see the line pull taunt. Do both wires and you'll have a surprisingly stable undercarriage assembly. The process is really quite easy and I've tightend the rigging on my WNWs Pfalz D IIIa the same way.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

I want to thank all of you for your kind comments. Much of the credit needs to go to Aviatic though. Their decals really are the trick for a fabric covered surface. I don't think you can produce the same kind of effects with paint and conventional decals no matter how accurate the colors. Looking at images of a modern recreation of a DVII or many other fabric covered planes, they almost all seem to have a bit of light or color showing through the fabric to my eye.

The wings are pretemplated, the rest you have to make a pattern but that was not too hard, and plan the weathiering a bit in advance.

Great to see you enjoying my products and using them to such great effect - I just wish the DVII would be back in production - I've a lot of these sets in stock!

Best wishes, Richard

www.aviattic.co.uk

Thanks and I feel the same.  I wish WNW would find a way to keep these in circulation at a reasonable price.  The capability and potential of aviatic decals for fabric covered surfaces are really outstanding.  I really did not feel it on building this plane until I found out about those attributes of your decals.  Short of starting with a frame and covering with a thin fabric, I don't know of a better way to reproduce the look of these planes.