MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

No matter what Fozzy still top notch modelling if you leave it a while the fix always appears in your mind at least when I scratch build that's what happens to me anyway mate keep going this is one model I would love to see in the flesh.

Guy

Edited by Guyman1

Well hi again fellow modellers!

Last time we met was when I was in a bit of a conundrum with "what to and how to fix the problem with the wing root"

Well...as far as I could see it  the only way that I could achieve it was to build the root in 3 separate stages......

PICT2565_1_zpsrcznvame.jpg

as in this photo of a b17....I have crudely marked out each section of the root that I will be tackling.....1. being the nose section ....2. being the bomb bay...and 3. will be the Radio room that I haven't even started yet!

So onto the first section we go!

With photos as

usual this is how I went about it.

In this first photo you can see I have shaped the fillets out of plastic and glued them to the fuselage side.....

kkk_zps0mlm5sbh.jpg

fs%20002_zpszmfccyl3.jpg

Then I scratch built the attachment brackets..( they look like Kangaroos sport!)!!...

fs%20001_zpsqmtkkk05.jpg

They were then glued into position....

fs%20008_zpsmersw10i.jpg

fs%20009_zpsb62nutci.jpg

All the gubbins were dealt with next on both sides ...pipes and cables which attach to the main wing etc....

f_zpsgtcvpwzx.jpg

t_zpsmu538jqt.jpg

Continued on next post!.......

Then I came to the first problem!default_sad.png......the fillets were far too wide!.....so I had to cut some of the plastic off....not easy with them on the fuselage ,which in turn meant that the attachments were too short ...so they had to be extended with a little scrap plastic!....this is what I mean....

fs%20005_zpsgwhgfuge.jpg

so the end result is that they now look like this.....

cb_zpseqcybdtn.jpg

fg_zpsi355dxpc.jpg

So all I had to do next was to skin the fillets with aluminum....not an easy task with them on the fuselage!...

ft%20008_zpsqp7nxbyf.jpg

ft%20003_zpsqvfhezrv.jpg

bv%20003_zpsidzbumho.jpg

bv%20004_zpsiivssn93.jpg

Right then....

I now have to connect some cables...paint some details and I will be back in a couple of days with the end result

Until then chaps.......see you later!

Fozzy

Ok then...here goes chaps....

Here is the finished front section wing root attachment area...all spruced up with paint and oils ............

Rear end shot showing the wing attachment brackets.....

fd%20012_zpsezbciuxy.jpg

Port side....

fd%20002-crop_zps0hzskavg.jpg

oop%20006_zpspyxbhhz0.jpg

oop%20008_zpsn0hhkrhy.jpg

Starboard side...

oop%20001-crop-crop_zpsf0zzpwek.jpg

fd%20007-crop-crop_zps224zx6eo.jpg

...and overall shots.....

jg%20004-crop_zps8vbidibe.jpg

jg%20002-crop_zpsboy5rvdd.jpg

Ok then...now that that is completed I can now get on and finish the bomb bay section.

My Wife is returning to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks and I want to try and get the bomb bay finished before then as I wager I won't get much modelling done!think.gif

On wards and upwards!

Cheers

Fozzy

Staggeringly good Martin ... amazing work. I have to ask, are you planning to add the wings later? If so, I'm all the more impressed by the awesome detail you added inside the fillet. What a project!

Jim

Thanks Jim

The plan right from the "off" was just to do the nose section showing the cockpit ,bombardier and Navigator stations...as you might have seen from my build last year here on LSP...but then I thought that I would continue down the fuselage...even though this has caused me no end of problems with mainly how I am going to eventually display it all considering that it will be in possibly 4 sections!...but I have started so I am going to have to finish it!...don't get me wrong I am thoroughly enjoying the experience so far!!.......

BUT....I think going down the path of scratching the wings would be a project too far!...the wings would be massive and apart from I haven't the room to display it I would end up having to do the 4  Wright R-1820-97 engines !.........might just do one of the engines though! :hmmm: .....no stop it Fozzy!

I've got to hand it to you Martin, I have no idea how you manage to coax yogurt tub plastic into all those wonderful shapes.... The forward wing root areas have some out great. Years ago I thought about building the nose sections of all the big bombers (17, 24, 29 etc) in 1/18 scale, as they would be a darn sight easier to display than the whole aircraft! Your build has been massively inspirational, not just for my current D model project, but for motivating me to perhaps one day revisit that idea.

Keep it going!

Craig 

I've got to hand it to you Martin, I have no idea how you manage to coax yogurt tub plastic into all those wonderful shapes.... The forward wing root areas have some out great. Years ago I thought about building the nose sections of all the big bombers (17, 24, 29 etc) in 1/18 scale, as they would be a darn sight easier to display than the whole aircraft! Your build has been massively inspirational, not just for my current D model project, but for motivating me to perhaps one day revisit that idea.

Keep it going!

Craig 

Cheers Craig

Funny you should mention that!...as I had...have still also had thoughts of doing exactly the same thing!...but I wanted to give it a trial run withe old B17G first....I have learnt so far that it is of course very time consuming but an absolute pleasure as at each stage you don't really know if you can actually scratch build the next part!...but what a lot of fun eh?....to keep my insanity at check I usually build a kit in between each project! :mental:  

Hmmm an 1/18 scale Lancaster or Halifax cockpit that would be quite something. :hmmm:

Strange you should mention this Cees, as I was thinking along the same lines but then realised that I wouldn't have a clue as to how to convert the measurements down to the required scale, as I'm not that bright, when it comes to numbers (my father tried for 6 weeks to teach me long division and gave up. It's still a complete mystery to me)!

Might have to give it some more thought though :think: