1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Peter,

Most of the tapes look OK, but since I know how picky you are (It takes one to know one!), they may be too thick for scale.  Using the pic you have above, it appears that it was taken within 2 feet- maybe 18" or so?  At 1/18 scale, that's only an inch away from your model and you can barely see the thickness of the tape on the real deal.

What might work OK is Archer decal resin rivets applied to create the lumps, followed by a thick portion of decal film strips instead of real tape.  Normally we modelers hate thick decals, but in this circumstance, it just might do the trick.  Academy and some Tamiya kits are famous for thick decals, so that might be your source.

Just an idea.  As I said, tape works too.

Cheers,

Chuck

I like the tightness of 5.  Have you looked at Scotch Transparent Tape?  It's thinner than Tamiya tape.  It has an acrylic adhesive.  It's fairly strong.  Leaves no residue.  Good show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

Perhaps even some Bare Metal Foil? Super thin and self-adhesive. Would need to be sealed in, though, and it doesn't take paint all that well (though you could rough it up a bit to provide a key for paint).

Kev

Hi there,

Your modelling blows my mind. I look forward to every post.

In the interests of adding to a very interesting discussion, here goes!

I use a scalpel with the blade at an angle to score in a representation of tape.

You get a raised edge that is very fine which I couldn't achieve using tamiya tape.

I confess, this does not help with the ribbing though...

Examples can be found here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=55055&hl=%20124%20%20spitfire%20%20kelly&page=4

Keep up the incredible work.

Cheers,

Kels.

I thought pinking the edges would be impossible, the only idea I could come up with was to run something like one of those rivet wheels down the edge to give the effect. As for the pattern under it, I have seen variances in the lacing in real life too, it totally depends on the person doing its skill.

Number 3 looks very presentable, although the pitch of the knots does also vary from rib to rib.

........what.....

well that is all I need....

..oh well...

thank you

...I think...

Peter,

Most of the tapes look OK, but since I know how picky you are (It takes one to know one!), they may be too thick for scale.  Using the pic you have above, it appears that it was taken within 2 feet- maybe 18" or so?  At 1/18 scale, that's only an inch away from your model and you can barely see the thickness of the tape on the real deal.

What might work OK is Archer decal resin rivets applied to create the lumps, followed by a thick portion of decal film strips instead of real tape.  Normally we modelers hate thick decals, but in this circumstance, it just might do the trick.  Academy and some Tamiya kits are famous for thick decals, so that might be your source.

Just an idea.  As I said, tape works too.

Cheers,

Chuck

..Thanks Chuck, that is a great idea and one I tried with my Tigercat. I think I have decided what I am doing and while I agree the tape is not as subtle as it could/should be, I have to weigh it up against how much time and trouble I have already invested here :)

I found I can feather the edges of the tape in by rubbing with a cocktail stick, and I have also decised to go for number 5..

that was a very thin strip of tape put down first, followed by running an adapted rivet wheel (to get 3mm pitch) hard along the sticky side of another strip to get the wire like raised bit, and the bumps for the knots..

..like this..

WIP318.jpg

..I have done one side and am reasonably happy it is subtle enough..

once I feather in the edges and paint it silver it should look ok... (I hope)

WIP320_zpscicoukn7.jpg

WIP319_zps4pite1nc.jpg

..in other news I made the trim tab fairing...

hard to see whats going on here, but this is a card jig with a slot in it (nearest camera) which I inserted folded annealed litho. I then bent it back flat with the jig and you can see it 'unfolded' at the top..

WIP316_zps6bb2itgy.jpg

..the finished fairing...

WIP317_zpshroz8r4x.jpg

..now to finish the rudder - hope to be back later with it painted..

Thanks for all your consultation :)

TTFN

Peter