Preview: HK Models 1/32 B-17E/F

LSP_Kevin

Hi Tom, certainly not taking anything away from Kev's preview here, but James H over at Large Scale Modeller is also doing a preview and one of the shots in that seems to indicate a new sprue with 2 cowlings (different shape) guns and prop blades. These appear to be different to the G ones.

I hope Kev doesn't mind me posting this, if so, please remove.

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4561-b-17ef-release-a-quick-preview/

It's all very exciting don't you think? :)

Craig

Presumably it's the following two sprues:

169-20.jpg

169-26.jpg

Both of these are new, and have no sprue or part numbers tooled yet (I'm missing a prop blade in the second photo). These actually consist of 5 separate sprues each, done in the same mould, so the pair actually represents 10 new sprues for this version. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to correct the lens distortion in my photos prior to uploading them, but if anybody wants better or closer shots, I'm happy to oblige.

Kev

First, looks like we may not get a new forward nose floor, so filling in the recesses for the chin turret will be necessary.

Dennis, this is what the draft instructions show for the forward nose floor:

Untitled-1_zpsmcgrtuam.jpg

I have no idea if that's any different from the 'G' kit, or appropriate for this release. I can photograph the actual part if that helps.

Kev

I believe the 3 pane, enclosed waist windows with the K-5/K-6 mount were a modification center change.  The B-17G parts manual does not have these windows listed but does have the sliding (B-17F/Early G) windows and the one piece plexi K6 mount windows listed.

385th_Bomb_Group_B-17_Waist_Gunner_8th_A

Edited by Juggernut

The B-17E had different cowls and props from the B-17F and B-17G. The props on the E had narrower blades and the cowls were longer. When they went to the so-called paddle blade props with the F, they had to shorten the cowl slightly to clear the paddle blades when feathered-- so I'm told.

I don't know what the kit will include, but it looks like there will be two types of cowls and prop blades. I assume that will include the correct types for the B-17E, though I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Bill M.

There is a new floor in the nose for the E/F.  Scroll through all the sprues.  Guys, keep in mind this is only test shots and is not in any way indicative of the complete and final model.  They are probably working on some tweaks and possibly additions to what is presented.

A suggestion I have to add to the kit are the clear plastic covers on the sides of the ball turret that were seen on many E's and F's that protected/streamlined the 'ball' shape and vertical traverse rotation points. Would be the first kit to accurately have them!

I thought they were included.....i could be wrong though

DSC05808_zpsws7hwfbc.jpg

I've been holding off getting one of these until and unless an early "G" (or late "F") version could be built. I've taken countless pictures of "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" (my all-time, favorite 'gal') down at the AF Museum, and had the privilege of crawling inside and sitting in the pilot's seat. Based on the preview pictures, it looks like it can finally be done. I'll have to get me one of these eventually. Thanks for the preview shots, Kevin

Thanks for posting this photo preview, and I hope the discussion continues with as the B-17F is the version I am most interested in. I am saving all the comments that pertain to the F model, so keep them coming.

Cheers
Brad

In looking at the clear sprue image of the nose plexi for the F, it indeed looks like the modified G that Tom mentioned a few pages back.  That distinctive, pointed nose just doesn't seem to be present.

303d_Bombardment_Group_358th_Bombardment

Edited by Juggernut

Here's a shot of those needle blade props on the 17E.  Notice the difference between them and the photo of Hell's Angels above.  Also of note at the ball sockets for the 30 caliber machine guns....

Crew_Of_B-17_93_Of_The_394th_Bombardment

Edited by Juggernut