Preview: HK Models 1/32 B-17E/F

LSP_Kevin

Hi Kev,

Would you be able to take a side profile pic of the 3 nose clear pieces (in the same pic for length comparison)?

Thanks,

Peter

I'll see what I can do. It'll be difficult to get them all operating off the same baseline, though, without snipping them off the sprues first.

Kev

Well, here's my relatively unsuccessful attempt at taking the requested photo:

DSCF8431_zps6szemlgn.jpg

I'm reluctant to remove the individual parts from their sprues, as it'll significantly increase the risk of them being damaged or broken once they're back in the box. To make things a bit more meaningful, I've attempted to measure the heights of each part, and give an approximate measurement for each one in mm:

• left: 20.5mm
  • middle: 18mm
  • right: 20mm

As I said, these measurements are pretty approximate, and definitely not gospel, so make of them what you will.

Kev

Thanks for the preview, the kit looks excellent. Be in for one for sure, maybe two depending on final price.

Anyone have an idea of the actual release date as yet?

Thanks

Terry, my best guess is sometime this side of June. If I find out for sure, I'll post it here.

Kev

If nothing else, and if HK does not offer a correct F nosepiece, it would be an easy item for an after-market manufacturer-- a clear cast resin or vacuformed nosepiece and some resin bits for the gunmount(s) as needed. Could offer two or more versions. If no good aftermarket nosepieces appear, I would vacuform and cobble together a correct nosepiece and gunmount. It won't stop me from buying the kit.

Bill M.

Hey Bill, make two sets please :) It won't stop me from getting the kit either. The hard part is choosing a subject F to build it as. I was thinking of doing "Sweet and Lovely" which is a B-17F-115-BO which was from the 533 BS/381st BG, but I noticed that the real plane had a later nose style with the astrodome and the side cheek windows, so not sure if these items will be included in the kit.

Brad

The astrodome looks to be included in the kit. As to making extra nosepieces, I would think it highly likely that someone will be making correct nosepieces. Same goes with the later cheek pieces. I am planning to do Knockout Dropper, so I need a nose with the single braced gun mount-- which happens to be the most common B-17F nosepiece and gun arrangement. I still say we will see correct F nose pieces from either HK or after market folks.

Bill M.

I agree, HK can easily correct this part of the kit and offer a new more accurate piece. Anyone have dimensions they could provide to them to make the task easier? I imagine if they had to hop on a plane to go measure a more accurate piece it may create a longer delay. However, e delay isn't such a big deal if we're getting a more accurate product :-)

Curious too, and it would be easy to produce yourself, but I wonder if we will get wheel covers, too. I imagine Eduard will provide them with a set of Brassin wheels at some point, and hopefully some additional tire tread options!

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

I'm not Karl, but his drawing looks right, while the kit parts look wrong. I'm sure that HK worked from a "faux" B-17F with a G nosepiece. I suspect that Memphis Belle at Dayton is the only real B-17F with a real F nosepiece.

While the drawing is an excellent starting point, HK really needs to offer these nosepieces with the gunmount modifications. Almost all the combat F's had them.

Bill M.