Do you use a 'Practice' model?

CANicoll

Not sure how unusual this is (or not) but I keep an old model around that I practice spray painting on before doing whatever it is I want to do on my current build.

Practice may just be checking out paint thinning, or I may prep the piece to see how an overcoat may look, or how various shades of Metalizer appear on a given background.  I find it VERY helpful if I am free-handing a camo pattern to work it out first on the 'practice model'.  I usually have to make adjustments to something to get it right.

Once in a while I'll hit it with a fresh coat of primer, or sand paper to get it back to plastic.  

Also good for testing out decals you are not sure of.

DSC_0194_zpsgcn5ft52.jpg

Hold the phone....I thought they all were. Never occurred to me that you could practice first.

Is this ever cathartic.

• CATHARTIC (adjective)

The adjective CATHARTIC has 3 senses:

1. emotionally purging

2. emotionally purging (of e.g. art)

3. strongly laxative

Edited by williamj

I don't normally. But for my F/A-18c that i've just started I will. I wanted to try pre-shading with blacks, browns, greys and whites before I paint the overall grey to see if that helps with the different panel colours. Rather than post shading. 

I try stuff out on the back of cheap plastic spoons.  I usually shoot a test squirt onto a spoon back before I commit to the model proper.  This practice has saved me on more than one occasion from botching a paint job.   ;)

clever idea. Otherwise I am with Martin on this. Still, should I be give something I don't want to build...

Edited by Hardcore

Guest Peterpools

Yup, I have a practice Sea Fury Wing that will never offer enough lift with all the paint test I've done. One of my most used and effective painting tools. :whistle:

Peter