HK Models hinting at 1/32 B model P-51!

wrbrdmech

Sorry, I should have been more specific there than just saying panel lines. You are of course correct.

Thanks

Brad

LOL, I hadn't even noticed your post above Brad regarding the wing panel lines.  I was primarily responding to Peter's post based on his WIP  thread  but all is good.  Let's hope that if HK does NOT rivet the hell outta the wing and does put in those few panel lines for the P-51B, they don't use the P-51D ammo access panels as a reference as that would be incorrect.  Those on the P-51B are shorter than those on the P-51D.  Smooth wings with the appropriate (and restrained) panel lines on the wings will go a very LONG way to producing a much easier build.  I agree with the above comments on the Tamiya wings....  They are indeed fantastic but it is a nightmare to fill/sand those rivets and panel lines without compromising the sharpness of the surrounding details.   I would too welcome both the standard and Malcolm hoods.  I don't know how I feel about the fin fillets though.  I'm more of a purist in that regard.  I like the B/C stang without the fin fillet.  I have a set of Ding Hao decals that I've been waiting for years to use (They're made by CAM).  I foolishly thought that the Trumpeter kit would be getting those but as it turns out, I still have them, uncut and hopefully still usable.

Edited by Juggernut

I agree that smooth wings with just the appropriate panel lines and panels would be a tremendous savings in time and anxiety...as beautiful as the Tamiya kit is. 

I think a Malcolm hood is almost essential, although there are other sources for them...assuming they will fit. The fin-fillet would be a wonderful option, again giving scope for more possibilities. It would be interesting to see if and how they engineer the fillet. And in the realm of probably not...the louvres over the perforated carb intakes on the side of the nose on RAF machines.

As for markings it sure would be lovely to see something other than the 357th or 352nd Fighter Groups. I think they're pretty well covered by the aftermarket, and there are so many other units with interesting markings. It'd be nice to see something different. But I suppose if Old Crow sells, it makes them money. At least one RAF option would be great. I won't campaign for a Polish aircraft, they're pretty well covered by aftermarket as well. Something Australian maybe. Decals really aren't a concern, there already are plenty of after-market options and I'm sure there will be many more!

Speaking as if I had a say.  :)

Edited by R Palimaka

I've always wanted to see "Princess Elizabeth" done in 1/32.

ABSOLUTELY.

01170a4d7358fbd69a6a454b33ec3b4a.jpg

The others that I would build include:

James Howard's "Ding Hao!"

Donald Gentile's "Shangri la" (just have to do it, even though it's been done to death)

'Tex' Hill's "Bull Frog"

So, I'll be in need of 4 of these kits - assuming they're worthy. 

D

Thanks Wetwings, that's true. I forgot about Red Roo. The louvres aren't a big concern to many (especially those doing American aircraft) but

it would be nice if they were included in the kit instead of having to order them separately. I suppose it's no different than ordering decals though.

Once upon a time, twenty plus years ago, I was given a stash of US aviation mags by a departing USAFE serviceman.

On the cover of one (maybe 'Wings'? was a glorious period photo of a natural metal P-51B with the Malcolm hood and the remains of D-Day stripes on the lower surfaces, with the upper ones over-painted with olive drab.

I've no idea what happened to it, (several house moves likely didn't help) but I'd love to find that photo again.

There's a Hasegawa 'D' with a new spine and corrected and detailed wheel wells and rad housing lurking in a box somewhere, so if both canopy options are included. hopefully I can have both flip top and a sliding hood versions.

And I'm sure Roy at Barracuda will magic up an interior set when it's released.

Very, very doubtful.  There is no horse race.  HK was working on their Mosquito several years before Tamiya started theirs, and Tamiya couldn't care less what any other manufacturer does or doesn't do.  As has been noted on many occasions before, for Tamiya to do a P-51B/C, the only parts they could carry over from their existing D/K kit are the engine, prop, spinner, horizontal stabs/elevators, rudder, and landing gear.  Every other part would have to be different.   And I just don't see them doing that.  There is no precedent for it.

Vintage doesn't have a P-51B/C, very doubtful.

But they do have a P-40...............

ABSOLUTELY.

01170a4d7358fbd69a6a454b33ec3b4a.jpg

The others that I would build include:

James Howard's "Ding Hao!"

Donald Gentile's "Shangri la" (just have to do it, even though it's been done to death)

'Tex' Hill's "Bull Frog"

So, I'll be in need of 4 of these kits - assuming they're worthy. 

D

That is one of my faves....as my daughter's name is Elizabeth.