HK Models hinting at 1/32 B model P-51!

wrbrdmech

Does this mean Tamiya is going to release one also? :popcorn:

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

I certainly hope so.  It seems like Tamiya and HKM are in some sort of a horse race.  Look what happen with the mosquito thing.  I don't think Tamiya will hold back on this one.  I also hope HMK has learned something from the mosquito  experience.  These 2 guys have really put Trumpeter at the rear of the pack.  WAKE UP GUYS!! :deadhorse: Get the lead out, you've got some catching up to do!  I'm guessing (and it's really a no brainer) that Tamiya already has a B/C in the works, and maybe this announcement will prompt them to move ahead faster.  Yeehaa!  Happy days. :frantic:

Best regards

Patrick :frantic: :popcorn:

Very, very doubtful.  There is no horse race.  HK was working on their Mosquito several years before Tamiya started theirs, and Tamiya couldn't care less what any other manufacturer does or doesn't do.  As has been noted on many occasions before, for Tamiya to do a P-51B/C, the only parts they could carry over from their existing D/K kit are the engine, prop, spinner, horizontal stabs/elevators, rudder, and landing gear.  Every other part would have to be different.   And I just don't see them doing that.  There is no precedent for it.

Time will tell, and in the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I always enjoy reading your responses Jennings.  Have a good Saturday.  I'm enjoying mine, staying indoors, on this cold and rainy day.  No outdoor work today, or anything.  The coffee pot is working overtime today, and I'm feeling wired. :)  Take care.

Best regards

Patrick

Very, very doubtful.  There is no horse race.  HK was working on their Mosquito several years before Tamiya started theirs, and Tamiya couldn't care less what any other manufacturer does or doesn't do.  As has been noted on many occasions before, for Tamiya to do a P-51B/C, the only parts they could carry over from their existing D/K kit are the engine, prop, spinner, horizontal stabs/elevators, rudder, and landing gear.  Every other part would have to be different.   And I just don't see them doing that.  There is no precedent for it.

The Zero type 21 was almost entirely a new tool. New wings, fuselage, most of the cockpit. Not a lot in common with the type 52

Cheers

Joe

The Zero type 21 was almost entirely a new tool. New wings, fuselage, most of the cockpit. Not a lot in common with the type 52

Cheers

Joe

And there they stopped, leaving us without the remainder of the series.  Hopefully, Hasegawa will come to the rescue with more new tool A6M's. 

I'm glad HK is taking up the challenge to produce the P-51B/C.  It's a daunting challenge but if they've got the right team of advisors (several people from the P-51SIG and the restoration community come to mind) it should be a great kit.

There may be little precedent in their 1/32 line, but Tamiya did a 1/48 P-51B so that, at least, is a form of precedent. I don't think anything Tamiya did in 1/48 is completely out of the question in 1/32. Except of course the japanese twins... which COULD happen one day, but they seem a lot less likely than the other options. But things like the Bf109E, Fw190A, Fw190D, P-51B, P-47D, Beaufighter, and others should all, I think, be at least considered as somewhat possible.

Sure. And I plan to get one, regardless of what Tamiya may or may not do years down the line.

And if HK manages to somehow release different boxings of the kit (if that's even possible), I'll probably buy one of each boxing so I'll have an excuse to buy lots and lots of early Mustangs.

Jennings: It may be far too early to say at this point, but do you have any information on what decal options are being considered? Or at least, what you would like to see included?

I know a lot of people will just go the aftermarket route for decals, but I like to use kit decals when I can, so it's nice to have some good out-of-the-box options.