HK Models hinting at 1/32 B model P-51!

wrbrdmech

I don't believe that's the same aircraft, D. The particular machine I'm referring to, was with the 531st FS, 21st FG, Iwo Jima.

Interesting that two airplanes from the same Fighter Group on the same island would have the same name.

What colors were the 531st? White outlined with Black?

D

Interesting that two airplanes from the same Fighter Group on the same island would have the same name.

What colors were the 531st? White outlined with Black?

D

Indeed it is. Yes, white, outlined in black with white spinners, black cowl fronts. Here's another photo, though not the one I was looking for. Name is not exactly the same either, as this photo amply illustrates.

Also, while doing some Googling for further 21st FG information, I stumbled upon this site, and though not dedicated to any particular squadron or group, nonetheless has some pretty cool Mustang photos.

DSCN0690_zpswxpuwoko.jpg

My Take on the clamshell door issue (without having looked at the hydrauic system schematic in a while):  Without positive hydraulic pressure (caused by said dump of hydraulic system pressure with the cockpit control) in the clamshell door actuators holding the doors closed, the weight of the doors (mass x gravity) will overcome the static pressure in the actuator which will cause the doors to open albeit very slowly (there are no mechanical uplocks for the clamshell doors when the gear is down and locked) especially if the seals are tight.  The fluid that was in the "upside" of the actuator will be displaced back to the reservoir.  Eventually, if left alone for the right amount of time, those clamshell doors will open most of, if not all the way.  From what Jennings has observed, that amount of time may be longer than the "between sortie time". 

Edited by Juggernut

What I've always understood is that all of the P-51's had their landing gear doors and flaps controlled by a hydraulic system and that when the system was pressurized, the interior landing gear doors would be up. When everything was shut down and the hydraulic pressure would bleed off, sometimes over several hours, the doors would gradually descend. This is why Weser them in all sorts of positions. I don't know for sure about the flaps, but I'm pretty sure the they would descend too with the bleed-off of hydraulic pressure-- I just don't know if it was gradual or not.

Bill M.

When I converted my Hobbycraft Mustang IA back to a Mustang I (you can see it here, if you like http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30710&hl=  my research indicated that Allison engine Mustangs had mechanical latches which locked the landing gear doors in the up position when on the ground. This latch could be mechanically released for maintenance, if required.

From what I remember this did not apply to B/C/D Mustangs.

Dave/Ironman1945

When I converted my Hobbycraft Mustang IA back to a Mustang I (you can see it here, if you like http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30710&hl=  my research indicated that Allison engine Mustangs had mechanical latches which locked the landing gear doors in the up position when on the ground. This latch could be mechanically released for maintenance, if required.

From what I remember this did not apply to B/C/D Mustangs.

Dave/Ironman1945

That is what my feeble memory was trying to recall! So it was A's then. From B's on it was simply hydraulic. Thanks, Dave!

It should be clear to HKM that a lot of folks are drooling for the 51B/C. Every day you wait is money lost. BTW I have been working for some time on a Trumpy/ZM Frakenstang. All looks good except for the not laminar flow wing. I am sure that the day after I finish it, the HKM kit will hit the shelves...soooo back to work.