New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

11 hours ago, timvkampen said:

Really!? Well, that is a relief. Some of the work is still relevant and most useful today. Any idea if they are going to issue some of it again?

Yes, at least that's what we were told. While I have no "proof" that it's true, I also have no reason to assume he was making it all up, as there would be little or no gain in doing that, as far as I can tell.

23 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I would not hold my breath for that. Before the actual delivery of any IM kit, this will stay a very expensive collector set. 

yep, but when the HKM kit comes out, however, the CE set will have lost all the value it has now....that is why the collector/owner of the wild hare set would like to sell it now before it is too late. Among other things if it has shape issues (intakes, exhausts etc.) as it was said, it should be sold at an honest price because the resin air intakes can not be changed, they would crumble

Edited by Luca

4 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Other CE sets that lost their benefit because they were replaced either by plastic kits or better aftermarket sets keep a very high price tag.

yes, I saw a CE peace jack conversion a few weeks ago at over 1000 pounds on ebay :ph34r: so I can't imagine a price for this huge CE spey phantom conversion

Edited by Luca

Doesn't mean it sold for that of course!  I've seen a copy of 'Duel in the mist' vol 1 on sale on eBay for around 10 times its price when published but I'm not sure that anyone actually bought it.  I got mine at issue and it's good but not (to me at least) worth 10 times what I paid.

There's another book that interests me which is regularly reposted at the same price as it was the previous time when nobody bid on it but evidently none of the potential buyers has yet thought that one is worth the asking price either!

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Not sure as the number of produced kits was very low.

Other CE sets that lost their benefit because they were replaced either by plastic kits or better aftermarket sets keep a very high price tag.

According to those in the know,  ( Dave's friends).  There were 54 made I am told, and a tone time I had 3 of them that were acquired through trades, purchase etc.

6 hours ago, Luca said:

yep, but when the HKM kit comes out, however, the CE set will have lost all the value it has now....that is why the collector/owner of the wild hare set would like to sell it now before it is too late. Among other things if it has shape issues (intakes, exhausts etc.) as it was said, it should be sold at an honest price because the resin air intakes can not be changed, they would crumble

Luca,  be careful of the gossip surrounding these kits.   They are more accurate than many want to give credit for.  Yes, there are issues but not to the extent many gossip about on the forums.

As to the price issue,  Regular large production  CE parts came back in line when  companies offered similar and improved products at reasonable cost.   I would ask you though to think seriously about your comment "it should be sold at an honest price".  Weather you realize it or not you ar insulting people with such a comment and I don't think that is what you intended.   Hoping for a lower price is fine, but the way you put really is not cool at all.   Just because something is expensive, more than you can afford, more than you will pay... does not mean the price or the person is not being honest if that is where the market is.   Most of us like Ferrari Autos, but how many here have one or can afford one?   Does that high price they sell for make the seller dishonest?   Look at the collector  markets for cars airplanes, boats, art, etc?    Art is great example of where $100 canvas and supplies can be worth millions if the right artist uses them.  Markets are markets, and that is how capitalism works.   Look at Warbirds.  A P-51D Mustang cost the USAAF $18,400 in 1944.   IN 1947 there were giving them away.   Today they are worth millions.....see my point.

As for a new kit, You cannot expect a company to do it for free or spend money just to keep the price low, as it is all relative.

One thing I found on eBay is that sometimes sellers get the currency type mixed up and when it posts it is way higher than the market, then again in a bidding situation prices can get high if motivated buyers are involved.

5 hours ago, ghatherly said:

As to the price issue,  Regular large production  CE parts came back in line when  companies offered similar and improved products at reasonable cost.   I would ask you though to think seriously about your comment "it should be sold at an honest price".  Weather you realize it or not you ar insulting people with such a comment and I don't think that is what you intended

absolutely no I did not want to offend anyone .... an honest price could be the one to which it was originally sold by Cutting Edge I do not remember maybe 250-300 $ (possibly increased due to limited production). Timvkampen how much did you pay to purchase it?

Edited by Luca

On 2/14/2019 at 6:30 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

As far as I'm aware, the HK Models kit is not dead, but I'll see if I can get word from the horse's mouth.

Kev

I've just spoken with Neil on this topic, and the kit is definitely still in development, with an ETA of late this year or early next.

Kev

8 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

What kind of info? Size, location, when open/closed?

Anything there is, the doors were almost always open on the ground. Interior shots, size, colour you name it.

When my conversion is finished HKM will probably release theirs.

Cees

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just spoken with Neil on this topic, and the kit is definitely still in development, with an ETA of late this year or early next.

Kev

That's at least good news, although I'm not looking to buy this kit (no money!).  

Still, I just find it impossible to be so pedantic to have an ultra critically accurate kit of a plane or ship, etc.  It's just overkill to me.  More power to those that demand that sort of accuracy, it's just not my cuppa tea so to speak.  Tamiya's efforts are fine by me.