Kitty Hawk Model 1/32 P-39Q/N

LSP_Kevin

Kev,

WOW.  I feel like a day late and a dollar short on comments but you've done an amazing job all along and you finished her off nicely.  Agree with the comments on the prismacolour pencil - but also think you did about as much as you could on this project and now it is time to move on your next amazing adventure.   :piliot:

We had our club meeting last night, I brought my KH P-39 and I think what you will find is that when people look at it, they will be amazed and in awe at the work you've done.  They won't see all of the heartache and pains of putting the $%#$!! thing together - just the amazing result in front of you now.  The faded paint work you did is very effective and I think the tail really came out nice.  The striking thing about these birds is that White tail.  And I have never seen a picture of anything but a very white tail.  

Just how well your paint and the weathering came out shows your great work - it is really something to look at!  I'm still amazed you got it to sit on her nose wheel.  I had to glue some clear sprue as a 4th leg to keep mine from sitting back.  Your build thread is a monument to perseverance and a guide for the uninitiated who may follow in your KH P-39 footsteps.

In the true spirit of the New Year - let the past be the past and look at the great work that you ended up in 2017.  Well done!!   :punk:  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Chris! I'm flattered and humbled by your comments. Issues with the model aside, I think this is probably one of my best paint jobs, so I'm pleased with that aspect of it at least. Right now I'm just painting and installing the various navigation lights, having just finished adding some subtle exhaust staining.

Kev

Turned out great, Kev! I think your toned down silver chips looks really realistic. One thought for your next model might come from the AFV guys: several start with chips of a lightened version of the camo paint, to represent scratches that did not go through to metal, then some touches of exposed metal. Gives it a super realistic work.

For flat coats, I have started mixing Humbrol Matte with Humbrol Satin to give me a touch of smoothness. Looks more realistic than straight satin or matte to me.

Anyway, I think the color over black mottling together with chipping really sets it off. Look forward to the final pics! 

Turned out great, Kev! I think your toned down silver chips looks really realistic. One thought for your next model might come from the AFV guys: several start with chips of a lightened version of the camo paint, to represent scratches that did not go through to metal, then some touches of exposed metal. Gives it a super realistic work.

For flat coats, I have started mixing Humbrol Matte with Humbrol Satin to give me a touch of smoothness. Looks more realistic than straight satin or matte to me.

Anyway, I think the color over black mottling together with chipping really sets it off. Look forward to the final pics! 

Thanks, Ray. I definitely have a few ideas for the next weathered build I do. I don't want to fall into the trap of weathering every model like it was a derelict AFV, though!

Kev

Well, I'm pleased to report that this one is officially done now. Finally! I've run out of time for photos, so I'll try to post some tomorrow.

Kev

Hey, time for building but no pic taking is completely acceptable!  Happens to me all the time...............better than the other way round

So, after 50 pages and 15 months of on/off work, it's finally done.

PjhQoU.jpg

RZzUHr.jpg

pxBUJE.jpg

That's all I'm going to post for now, as I'm putting together an article for AIR Modeller on this build. The port undercarriage leg came loose while taking the final photos, which is annoying. I'm very glad to have this one behind me now!

Thanks to everyone who followed along and commented - always appreciated.

Kev