HK Mosquito at Hannants....

geedubelyer

....and them's that know all the problems, have a clear passion for accuracy to the Nth degree, could very easily use that knowledge, learn CAD, raise the money and get off their backsides and do their own kits.

Me, I am just thrilled to bits that ANY kit manufacturer has the chutzpah to crack on and release a product, WHATEVER it is!!  Especially in the absolute knowledge that WHATEVER they do, someone (frequently lots of people) will claim the item is complete rubbish over what are frequently piffling little features, and miss the bigger picture. Sheesh, look at that little bit of bent tin on the underside of the Revell FW190!!

It's a freaking 1:32 scale Mosquito, for Goodness' sake!!

Rant mode off....

Tim

Tim

Terry, my reviews are always in-box style reviews, and for a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm no subject-matter-expert when it comes to the Mosquito (or any other aircraft type for that matter), so I'm not qualified to speak about accuracy or shape issues. And to a large extent, I don't really care all that much about them, either. Commenting on them from that perspective would be just silly.

Secondly, I prefer to post as many images, and as detailed a description, as possible, and let people make up their own minds about the kit. That's what in-box reviews are really all about: a detailed look in the box so that you can see what you get.

Time is also another factor. Sure, I could spend countless hours boning up on the Mosquito, hunting down scale plans and poring over photos, but I just don't have the time (nor, as I've alluded to above, the interest). As it is, this review has taken me a week to put together, at the expense of my own modelling time.

But, you shouldn't be reviewing if you're not an expert! In-box reviews have their place, and are useful in my opinion. I find that, every time an SME makes some prognostication about some aspect of a kit, 2 more show up to contradict him/her. You don't have to be an expert to take decent photos and write an articulate description (though those things require their own skills, obviously).

I'm sorry that you didn't find that useful, but I stand by my approach.

Kev

Kev, it's a very nice and helpfull review iff you ask me. You did a great job :thumbsup:

For me (and i'm not a HK fan) it's a great help to read such reviews. It's giving an overal view of the quality, and content of the box, and different part's.

And important, it look's like a Mosquito......at the end, whe don't have to fly it, so who cares about pin-pointed accuracy. Every kit has it's odds an ends, and with this review whe get a nice inbox look of what the kit is made off.

Well done Kev.

Greetz

Danny

Nice review Kev!

The new HK Mossie kit has shaken my lust for modeling I must admit. Not by the kit itself, which is wonderful and builds great, but the discussions I've seen on Facebook. People calling the nose 'A monstrosity' and the kit 'A cartoon'. Fatally flawed even!

This kind of behavior is in my eyes not very encouraging to a new company on the block that is very much open to dialoque with the modeler. 

Thanks for the review Kevin!

I am thinking about buying a large Mossie, maybe the HK version, and it is good to have this review as a reference.

I admit, I am tempted by the simplicity of the single piece wing and fuselage parts.

Guest Peterpools

Kev
Awesome review and contained everything I wanted and needed to know in deciding whether or not to buy. No question: it's a must buy and I couldn't care less about all the crap about accuracy on Facebook or anywhere ever. I fully agree with Jeroen, these experts are doing nothing more in my eyes then killing the hobby, finding fault with every new kit and seem to delight in looking for flaws. Wait ... I've got it and how could I be so stupid: the hobby isn't enjoying building and relaxing in the fruits of our model building mini world, it's in seeking out and finding flaws and inaccuracies.

Don't like the kit don't buy the kit. It's not a perfect world, never was and never will be. Build and enjoy and for the rest; leave us alone. :fight:
Peter

Edited by Peterpools

It's great that so many folk have used this thread to voice their opinions about the kit but it was intended more as a heads-up for price than anything else (which is being lost in all of the toing and froing).

Kev has a review thread here for more in depth discussion of the actual model kit.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=56856&do=findComment&comment=690076

;)

Terry, my reviews are always in-box style reviews, and for a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm no subject-matter-expert when it comes to the Mosquito (or any other aircraft type for that matter), so I'm not qualified to speak about accuracy or shape issues. And to a large extent, I don't really care all that much about them, either. Commenting on them from that perspective would be just silly.

Secondly, I prefer to post as many images, and as detailed a description, as possible, and let people make up their own minds about the kit. That's what in-box reviews are really all about: a detailed look in the box so that you can see what you get.

Time is also another factor. Sure, I could spend countless hours boning up on the Mosquito, hunting down scale plans and poring over photos, but I just don't have the time (nor, as I've alluded to above, the interest). As it is, this review has taken me a week to put together, at the expense of my own modelling time.

But, you shouldn't be reviewing if you're not an expert! In-box reviews have their place, and are useful in my opinion. I find that, every time an SME makes some prognostication about some aspect of a kit, 2 more show up to contradict him/her. You don't have to be an expert to take decent photos and write an articulate description (though those things require their own skills, obviously).

I'm sorry that you didn't find that useful, but I stand by my approach.

Kev

I fully agree, and nice review Kev :thumbsup:

Are those prices inclusive of VAT?  Holy cow.  Seems like once again, UK sellers simply remove the $ and replace it with a £ regardless of the exchange rate difference.

Very British problems.....model kits, electronics, downloadable apps, everything.....

Nice review Kevin !

It must have been a difficult job for the mold makers to get that one-piece wing and fuselage.

But totally pointless to me if their is still a seam to be sanded .

Maybe the kit could have been cheaper if they stuck to two-piece wings and fuselage.

I will build the Revell kit some day.Not spending 210 Euros.

1-HN-Ac-Revell-de-Havilland-Mosquito-BIV

Edited by Erwin

The logic behind the tooling is probably down to tool area. Moulding the wing in one piece requires a top and bottom mould, and a removable insert for the internal area, but the overall mould face area is just the whole wing. Splitting the wing into a conventional top and bottom separate parts require TWO times the overall area, so double the size of machine to run the mould, double the weight of the mould, at least, and massively more pressure to keep the mould together. Splitting the wing conventionally would have probably put the price UP significantly.....

Tim

The logic behind the tooling is probably down to tool area. Moulding the wing in one piece requires a top and bottom mould, and a removable insert for the internal area, but the overall mould face area is just the whole wing. Splitting the wing into a conventional top and bottom separate parts require TWO times the overall area, so double the size of machine to run the mould, double the weight of the mould, at least, and massively more pressure to keep the mould together. Splitting the wing conventionally would have probably put the price UP significantly.....

Tim

That's another way of looking at it.

Comparing this kit to the 45 year old Revell kit seems pretty pointless.  The Revell kit has many, and very widely known major accuracy issues.  Also not really sure what's to be gained by seeing if Tamiya and HK fuselages match one another.  Is anyone going to spend this kind of money on either one of them and then chop and swap parts?  Highly doubtful.

Well now, if an enterprising AM company were to produce an NF XIX nose for the Tamiya kit, then HK were to produce a two-stage engined bomber, and the front of the Tamiya fit the rear of the HK - they look to have the same meeting point so no cutting - you could then buy the relevant sprues from Tamiya and the HK kit to make a Post War NF 36. 

I wasn't aware of any accuracy issues with the Revell kit, if you could list them that would be peachy.