1:32nd B-17G 'Aluminium Overcast'

tomprobert

A few more bits and bobs done to the Fortress...

Wing walkways have been masked and sprayed dark grey as the original aircraft:

20519276725_0549c002a6_c.jpgS1030050 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The areas immediately behind the cowlings have been sprayed with rub and buff to recreate the burnt steel areas on the real thing:

19896606634_893a057528_c.jpgS1030052 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've installed the undercarriage, and have also shortened the main legs by approx 4mm. I feel that the model sits too high, and when comparing photos of the real aircraft to HK's effort it appears the main struts are too long, and almost gives the model the effect of sitting on top-toes and rather spoils the 'sit' of the model:

19896605754_455a019ed5_c.jpgS1030058 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Ball Turret has been painted and is in situ:

20525624101_8f2f5afd1d_c.jpgS1030065 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I think the next task will be the engines:

20331220938_2600e6caf2_c.jpgS1030061 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time,

Tom

Love it, Tom - the NMF is really convincing. And as always, the crispness of your painting and photography is a joy to watch.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Although I hasten to add it's not supposed to NMF as this warbird is painted 'silver' for corrosion protection purposes. I'll happily take the compliment though!  ;)

Looking excellent Tom. Totally agree with the landing gear height. I've always thought it looked a little off. Your modification has pretty much nailed the look I reckon! :)

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm glad you think it looks better - it's one small thing about the HK kit that had been bothering me. With the nose being round, it also makes the cockpit sit higher which makes the look of being too high appear worse. With the 4mm removed from the legs it certainly has more of a 'Monogram' look about it, which in my opinion is the benchmark B-17 kit. A very subtle but effective adjustment.

A small update - engines and props done today...

20545846286_1b493884c8_c.jpgS1030070 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20563139612_2a425d9310_c.jpgS1030068 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20384079878_b69c257990_c.jpgS1030074 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The engines are little models in themselves, and with some careful painting really look the part. I did consider some resin replacements, but to be honest in my opinion it's really not worth it.

Until next time,

Tom

Absolutely Tom. I've noticed that B-17's seem to have very little in the way of exposed chrome on their landing gear struts on the ground.... Just wondering where on the leg you took the 4mm off? Totally agree with you about the way the rounded fuselage adds to the appearance. Monogram certainly captured the look perfectly.

The props looks great, can't wait to get back into mine! 

Cheers, Craig

That is some exceptionally high quality paintwork Tom. Your masking is as crisp and sharp as I've seen and helps lift this build to a higher plain.

Having just added a series of raised rivets to the tail end of a Spitfire those pics of the full sized birds made me shudder. Has anyone ever added all of the raised rivets to one of these I wonder? :hmmm:  I'd guess one would nearly have to spend as much as the kit again just to have enough rivets.

You seem to making excellent progress. Is there much left to do Tom?

Cheers.

Absolutely Tom. I've noticed that B-17's seem to have very little in the way of exposed chrome on their landing gear struts on the ground.... Just wondering where on the leg you took the 4mm off? Totally agree with you about the way the rounded fuselage adds to the appearance. Monogram certainly captured the look perfectly.

The props looks great, can't wait to get back into mine! 

Cheers, Craig

Thanks, Craig.

I removed the 4mm from the upper part of the leg, where there are less detail parts for me to ruin! I left the chrome oleo struts as they were - I figured a warbird is lightly loaded and thus the legs would be fairly extended.

Mentioning your build - any more progress?

That is some exceptionally high quality paintwork Tom. Your masking is as crisp and sharp as I've seen and helps lift this build to a higher plain.

Having just added a series of raised rivets to the tail end of a Spitfire those pics of the full sized birds made me shudder. Has anyone ever added all of the raised rivets to one of these I wonder? :hmmm:  I'd guess one would nearly have to spend as much as the kit again just to have enough rivets.

You seem to making excellent progress. Is there much left to do Tom?

Cheers.

Adding raised rivets to this kit would see me through for life! The box claims there's over 500,000 of the blighters! I know the B-17 was constructed using domed rivets, but on this occasion I'm happy to let this inaccuracy pass!

Not a huge amount left to be honest - just the smaller details. One pressing job is scratch building ther rear crew entry door, as this was ruined when drilling out the thick plastic. I also want to made the small wooden steps for the rear door that are used to get passengers in and out safely.

Another few hours in this model yet...

Tom

Thanks, Craig.

I removed the 4mm from the upper part of the leg, where there are less detail parts for me to ruin! I left the chrome oleo struts as they were - I figured a warbird is lightly loaded and thus the legs would be fairly extended.

Mentioning your build - any more progress?

Thanks for the advice Tom! Unfortunately not at the moment, I've been absent from the bench for the last four months due to various courses all of which were at the opposite ends of the country! Hopefully in the next few weeks that will all be over and I'll be back into it. Trust me I'm keen to get back into it.

Thanks for posting your progress as the motivation goes a long way, especially when I can't get to the bench! :)

Keep up the good work mate,

Craig