Tamiya Big Cat

karimb

Hi everyone...

First of all let me wish everyone a happy and joyous Christmas to you and your loved ones.... i hope santa will be nice to all, and when you wake up tomorrow morning you find loads of plastic under the tree  :clap2:

Shes finally done...long build that i thoroughly enjoyed to be honest...

The kit is Tamiya's F14A Black knights boxing. To that i added the Eduard Big Ed set...I also used 4 different reference books, the DACO book, two squadron signal books and one more, but i cant remember the name at the moment

The kit has a couple of shortcomings that need to be dealt with to get it up to today's standards, including raised panel lines all over, horrible intakes and a couple more issues...To be honest, some of the sprues in the boxing are date stamped 1980, and you find some flash and some fit issues all along, but nothing that cant be fixed with some loving care and patience... :D

Ill list the items done in a random manner below

I sanded down the complete kit then rescribed it correctly as some of the tamiya panel lines are in the wrong place, some shouldnt even be there (beware of the reference materials i came across a couple of panel lines that were different in different books... At the end the main one i relied on is the FANTASTIC DACO book). The scribing took a while to be done, but at the end it was worth it... I made the anti slip coating on the top part of the intakes using putty and stippling it with a brush, did the GBUs fire retardant coating the same way too...Also sorted out a way to get the intakes to become seamless using acetate sheet, pretty simple work and the results were very satisfying... 

I added some plumbing to the wheel bays as those are pretty bare in kit form (fuse wire, soldering wire, vinyl tubing...etc) as per references.

I used the whole of the Eduard Big Ed set on the kit with the exception of the slime lights that came with the set, as i found those to be the same colour registry as the decal provided ones, but thicker...)

Used tamiya paints for the turkey, used a mix for the light and dark ghost gray, and used the instruction call outs for the skunk line on the back. The skunk line was hand masked and painted as those come in the kit in decal form and the decals overall are on the thick side (and you cant weather decals like you could with paint lol). I used a new technique on the kit called black basing that Matt (DoogsATX) has come up with, and i will post a link to his blog where he explains the technique in detail in case someone wants to get to use it, along with a link to my WIP thread for this build, as there are some techniques i used that might come in handy to you guys too...

The black basing gives the paint finish a faded and mottled look, and on top of that i also used the salt chipping technique on the top part of the aircraft...

The aircraft was finished as a boss machine, VF154 Black Knights CAG bird...

For the weathering, on top of the black basing and chipping, i used a dark gray wash, and oils for streaking and fading. Oil colours used were dark gray, light gray, buff, old rust and brown...

Well, thats mostly it, im sure i might have forgotten some stuff, but this is the majority of it.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that followed the work in progress thread, all your enthusiasm and encouragement has made this build possible...

Below the links, one to Matt's page, and one to the WIP thread for this build... 

I hope you like how she's turned out

The WIP thread

DoogsATX black basing technique

Until the next build,

Merry Christmas, stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

IMG_4356_zps65ad9128.jpg

IMG_4357_zps09cf5836.jpg

IMG_4359_zps8d405ca2.jpg

IMG_4365_zps06568117.jpg

IMG_4370_zps0919b7cb.jpg

IMG_4371_zps9b3999a3.jpg

IMG_4375_zps47841455.jpg

IMG_4376_zps3a49de5a.jpg

IMG_4378_zps84b4dd2c.jpg

IMG_4386_zpsbae63d59.jpg

Well, on to part two of the photos, part three to come after too

Thanks again

Last couple of photos

IMG_4429_zpscac28744.jpg

IMG_4431_zps5b184eed.jpg

IMG_4432_zps490a00d3.jpg

IMG_4433_zps16376fa9.jpg

IMG_4435_zpsc33371ed.jpg

IMG_4437_zps5b241177.jpg

IMG_4440_zps301aae27.jpg

IMG_4441_zps9e6db48b.jpg

IMG_4442_zps15817633.jpg

IMG_4444_zps3a23f556.jpg

Ah yes i forgot to mention, i used Gunze MR metal colour Chrome Silver, the buffable range for the leading edge slats and some of the areas that were metallic... the Cans were painted with Iron and dark Iron of the same paint range, and i used some pigments to highlight some of the areas on the cans....

Well, thank you again for checking in...

Happy holidays everyone  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

Karim

Firstly- Merry Christmas Karim!!

You work extremely fast and you really exceed with every build!!

Thanks for sharing Mate!!

Cheers

Ted

I forgot: She's stunning! Well done!!

Ted

Ted, thank you for the kind comments...Im glad you like her. Up to today its the build i added the most detail and AM stuff to, and the one that took the longest to complete lol almost a month...

Now i gotta decide on what to build next as my 'goodbye' WIP before i move countries for work mid january... 

Its gotta be something exciting, and that i can finish in such a short timeframe lol  :hmmm:

Best wishes to you and your family on the holidays, and thanks again  :bow:

Karim

Guest Peterpools

Karim

Absolutely an incredible build and a brilliant finish. Nearly as much effort went into the updates and tutorials as the build. Kodos on the Big Cat and a pleasure to follow each update.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter