Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Sweet update and all those Injector Pin Marks ... what a job removing them. Great idea of adding the weight to the FLIR.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys!

As to the iridescent paint, it is a lacquer line made by Pactra, that is designed for lexan R/C Race car bodies, and to go on the inside, so it shows through the clear lexan, or in this case the clear IM plastic.   I have experimented with the shimmery iridescent wrapping foil and on the right surface you are 100% right it works very well. However it was way too bulky for the super small detail work in this case.  I think the disco ball on top may also be a bit small to get the foil to stick cleanly and show flatly inside of the ball/ upper light fixture.

My plan for the disco ball is Im going to be to make a mix of Tamiya clear yellow, and clear red, and spray or brush it also on the inside of the upper light fixture, followed then by a coat of Alclad chrome behind that, to punch up the sparkly-ness of the light. Im thinking it wont really need to be color changing like the Pactra paint, (changes from purple to blue in different lighting) but the mix of clear orange with chrome behind it, in the inside it should be enough to make it more interesting looking.

Pactra makes a whole range of crazy, outlandish colors (usually lacquer) that are quite bomb-proof, and are in shades you normally never see.

pactra_spray_colors.gif

Looking good!

I've got some super-thin iridescent film that I've been intending to use for HUD glass that I think could be excellent here - just need to figure out a way to glue and trim it.

Ideally I'd love to figure out what AFV Club is using to do their line of anti-reflective canopies - it looks rather convincing and would do great for sensor glass.

Nice work Brian.

Can u explain what EZ line is for the cable bundels?

I dondt find it :oops:

Keep up the great work.

Mark

Here Mark  is some help on how it is used for aircraft http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3046

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/ezline.html

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks guys!

A fellow on Another Modeling Forum just posted a pic of his build (for MAI Magazine):

LINKY

Man, I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing.  :yahoo:

Yep, that is our own Tigger Wilkes! John said he was working on his Bronco, and as usual it turned out fantastic!  As lovely as it is, as I suspected it and Im thinking many others built will be in the same desert scheme, which is why I chose VMO-4 with the 3 color wrap around camo.

I did try several films for the iridescent qualities, but the two lenses in question on the front of the FLIR/laser ball are so small, its SUPER tough to get them to stick flush on the inside...........and the outside was out of the question for me, as it was much more evident it was a film on the outside, and no longer had the clear "see through" quality it has when on the inside, which is why in the case of these super tiny lenses, I chose to go with iridescent paint and not film.

I spent last night getting the MM36622 camouflage grey down in the wheel wells, as well as masking off and shooting the inner parts of the fuse that show on the front wheel well.

I found another issue (at least to me) for the VMO-4 scheme that I found...............The OOB KH instructions call out for MM36622 on the gear as well:

DSC03609.jpg

However, when looking at almost all of the pics of OV-10s in the wrap around VMO-4 scheme have white on the gear as apposed to the camo grey:

0662_2.jpg

This isnt a huge deal, and there very well may be OV-10s out there with the grey on the gear, but for mixing the colors up a bit, and for the sake of accuracy in numbers for the amount of pics of seen with white, Im going with white for the gear on mine.

More pics soon!

Cheers

nice work. I love the camo version in the above photo. I hope Eduard will have a large photo etched available soon for this plane. so much super detailing can be done with this one.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver! Since every single one of the new KH OV-10s that Ive seen built so far has the desert scheme, I have opted for the above VMO-4 wrap around camo scheme for my build.

I really like it too, and it seems very different when looking at the desert schemes.

I do like the DS scheme, but I love the different, and think the Marine 3 color wrap around camo scheme is the doggies danglies!!