Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

I was perusing Bronco pics on the net to get more familiar with the airplane, so when I get my hands on one.

I noticed in a couple head-on shots on top of the wing, outside of the boom, are 4 Medieval looking spikes.

Only found them on a couple.

Some kind of spoiler?  be my guess

Bronco Brain!   We need you!

Curious Jack  

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

Its very inspiring and very motivating with all of the people commenting that I communicate with almost on a daily basis.  Its very humbling and rewarding posting WIPs and RFIs on a place like LSP because of the caliber and high skill level of its general population. I can see where it might be intimidating to a new person posting images of their builds with all the talent on this site.

I think Ive learned more in the past few years since I joined LSP than all of the previous time I have been modeling put together!

As to the "wire" bundles, these are really just a misnomer, and are not really wires at all. I learned on my B-25 build that white EZ Line can provide very realistic wire bundles, and utilized it to good effect learning a LOT. It is just 5-10 strands of white EZ Line tied together at random increments with black EZ Line. I hope to have something similar to my B-25 bomb bay once done:

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

I was perusing Bronco pics on the net to get more familiar with the airplane, so when I get my hands on one.

I noticed in a couple head-on shots on top of the wing, outside of the boom, are 4 Medieval looking spikes.

Only found them on a couple.

Some kind of spoiler?  be my guess

Bronco Brain!   We need you!

Curious Jack

Yes these are spoilers.

Hubert

Hubert is exactly right. They are spoilers that only pop up one side at a time for air-deflection along with the ailerons:

Good view of the port side spoilers on this German A model:

ov-10b_bronco_crash_kemble_uk_2012-07-10

What a great WIP, can't wait to get my hands on this one. You mentioned "EZ Line", what is it and where might it be purchased? Thanks.

Chuck

hey Chuck, thanks for the kind words. EZ Line is a flexible, polymer elastic like material (but is quite a bit different in composition to your average underwear elastic) that does not sag, or deteriorate over time (at least not in the past 8 - 10 years) and has about a 700% stretch percentage.

It was initially designed for model railroaders, but the aircraft modeling community has picked up on the fact that this stuff works wonders for WWI rigging, aerial antennas, and in my case, wire bundles.

EZ Line can be found all over, but Berkshire Junction RR site is one of the first ones (if not THE first) to have the stuff.

It comes in White, Rust, Green (old copper), Tan (Rope), French Blue and Black. it also comes in Fine and Heavy guages. I used fine for the wire bundles, and heavy for the black ties.

Again, you can probably find EZL at your favorite on line HS, but berkshirejunction.com has them:

EZ Line @ Berkshire Junction

Interesting. Never really thought about using EZ Line for cable bundles. Will have to try, especially because it takes glue so well. My go-to has typically been lead wire, but it can be a bit too fragile at times (and all other wires too springy).

Agreed Matt. I too really like lead wire, but also found it to be very fragile, and sometimes when it doesnt break, is "smooshes" and gets flat and or out of shape. EZ Line works well because its already white (in this case) and it takes well to dyes and permanent markers, so you can take white EZ Line and color it red or whichever you want. Its also easy to flex to the shape you need, and as you mentioned, it takes very well to tiny drops of CA.

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

Its very inspiring and very motivating with all of the people commenting that I communicate with almost on a daily basis.  Its very humbling and rewarding posting WIPs and RFIs on a place like LSP because of the caliber and high skill level of its general population. I can see where it might be intimidating to a new person posting images of their builds with all the talent on this site.

I think Ive learned more in the past few years since I joined LSP than all of the previous time I have been modeling put together!

As to the "wire" bundles, these are really just a misnomer, and are not really wires at all. I learned on my B-25 build that white EZ Line can provide very realistic wire bundles, and utilized it to good effect learning a LOT. It is just 5-10 strands of white EZ Line tied together at random increments with black EZ Line. I hope to have something similar to my B-25 bomb bay once done:

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

Hubert is exactly right. They are spoilers that only pop up one side at a time for air-deflection along with the ailerons:

Good view of the port side spoilers on this German A model:

ov-10b_bronco_crash_kemble_uk_2012-07-10

Brian quit screwing with me this early in the morning :fight: .  I was trying to figure out what part of the Bronco the above photos were. Why did he paint the inside silver :hmmm: Where is the Battery in that landing gear bay :frantic:   Ah Hell it's a B-25 Bomb bay :doh:

Also MYDESIGN posted this link in KittyHawk KH32003: 1/32 OV-10D Bronco http://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-props/1187-walkaround-na-bronco.html   This will help with the rear wiring bundles

Great job

and Cheers

Danny

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks Hubert & Brian,

I thought I'd lost my mind as I have never seen these before.

The EZ Line looks great  and easier then small wire that has to be painted, and repainted when the paint falls off.

Love the B-25 BB  .... to bad the 17's is so hard to see into( I'm working on one....slowly)

watch'in you :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

jack

Edited by marauderdriver

Thanks again guys. This week before Thanksgiving is my on-call week (AKA right now as I sit on a technical bridge while typing this) so the work has been a bit more slight on the bucking Bronco this weekend.  I did get a slight bit of work done, but I took Thanksgiving and all the days off after it, save a couple hrs on Friday, so hopefully more to come after this weekend is over.

To be honest, the scant bit of time I had for the OV-10 Bronco I spent on some unpleasantness. I needed to get the front wheel well done and attached to the bottom of the pit, as well as getting the FLIR ball assembled in order to get the fuselage closed. Since I needed to paint the front wheel well, I clipped off the main wells as well to paint them at the same time.  What I found was a case for AM wheel wells in both instances................main and front.

I didnt get any snaps of the front wheel well, but suffice it to say it looks like the main wells, as well as the sides of the fuselage ahead of the well and behind the FLIR ball that are exposed..................which is to say riddled with injector marks. I highlighted the exposed parts of internal fuse with some Flory models wash to highlight them. I used some microbeads + CA to fill them, but you get the idea, it wasnt fun with the IP marks in certain enclosed aeas. Some are "innies" that I filled, and some are "outies" that I will just sand down:

DSC03612.jpg

DSC03613.jpg

As I mentioned the color call outs from KH for the wheel wells, it is MM FS36622 "Camoflage Grey":

DSC03609.jpg

This is called out for the front and main wheel wells, and as mentioned above, there is a section of the fuse walls ahead of the well that is exposed, as in part of the wheel well. This area is exposed, and is very visible when looking at wheel well, however the called out MM color is for the cockpit color, which is MM FS36231. You really have to watch this, as if you paint as the instructions indicate, you will have the cockpit color on the upper side of the wheel wheel.You can see the area here between the blue arrows that is exposed, right behind the FLIR fire-wall:

DSC03611_mod_1.jpg

I let those harden off, so the next little tid-bit that needed to get done was to get teh FLIR ball glued up, but since i will not be having the nose hatch up, I only had to paint the bottom section of it....................that got me thinking..............KH provides you a weight block but it goes under the rear section of the cockpit, so its not as far forward as you might like, where all the leverage is.  Sooooo I wanted some insurance just to be safe. The FLIR ball is hollow, as well as having the most weight leverage, by being the most far point ahead of the nose gear you can get:

DSC03608.jpg

So, Im filling it with my favorite mix for adding weight to models:

DSC03618.jpg

So, I needed to paint the lenses up to get them glued in, so I can fill the FLIR ball. This is some iridescent purple lacquer race car paint painted on the inside of the lenses, with Alclad chrome behind it, then some Tamiya smoke on the outside to give it that darker mysterious look (Sorry for the out of focus shots, didnt notice it till afterwards) :

DSC03615.jpg

DSC03617.jpg

Tiz all for now lads, more work in a few days after my on-call slows down!

Cheers,

Brian I really like the FLIR  / Laser glass work. I have been looking in to doing that for the DISCO ball on top of the rear door, Alclad made a UV to _____ clear paint at one time. I was going to try that. What was the iridescent purple lacquer race car paint?

have fun Cheers :bow:

Danny