Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

As you wish...................

This past weekend was all about the cockpit (s) of the Bronco.

There is a LOT of glass real-estate on the OV10 and KH gives you a great base OOB, that is in fact good enough that you could leave the pit under all this glass totally OOB and you would have a really great looking model cockpit. The base is also good enough for the super-detailers to go absolutely NUTS on the pit............................I may very well do that exact thing on my next OV-10, (likely the A when it comes out but another D isnt out of the question!) but for this initial build, Im going for something in between super detailing and OOB.

The OOB KH pit is really great, but Im adding a bit of wiring to the rear back warning panel behind the observers pit. Although the D did not always have this same setup, and a lot of the time not nearly al the wiring that the A had, I am still going to add some wire bundles to this area, as well as running down the pit walls, and from the observers and pilots IP panels.

You can see here just how much potential this set up has for detailing. I will not be adding all of this, but you get the idea of what Ill be simulating a bit:

68-3825_obspit_20060119_076_of_107.jpg

68-3825_obspit_20060119_027_of_107.jpg

I also might add some other smaller details like the IP lights and their pigtail cords, and/or maybe even the center console overhead ventilation/cooling blower as well. Ill play those details by ear as the cockpit comes together since Ill have to have the fuselage assembled before I could install some of that. The open and HIGHLY visible nature of the large cockpit on the OV-10, and the large scale the KH kit is in, I figured that this work would really pay off in the end with the time spent adding details to the OOB pit. This could easily be left off, and still have a great model, I just cant seem to help myself is all. :lol:

First up, I sanded and smoothed the exterior nose to fuse seems, then got started filling in the 3 IP marks visible once the pit is installed. These did not come out 100% as perfectly smooth as I would have liked, but they came out acceptable enough once the pit was painted and weathered:

DSC03579.jpg

DSC03577.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

Next up, was to use 1 pt of the same Dark Gull Grey used in the pit with some black added to about 8 pts thinner to make the shadow color. Then I took the same DGG base and added white to it and did some highlight/dry brushing with it. Prior to that, I got the black IP sides masked off and shot, then a slight dry brushing of those with aluminum:

DSC03576.jpg

DSC03580.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Pushing on, I got the details painted on the rear observers alarm/comm shelf as well as painting the basic details on the pit tub. This included picking out all of the dials and instruments, as well as adding a wash of Flory models "Grime". You can see here, I have also started a little wire/cable wrap assembly line, which when Im done, Ill need about 7 - 15 of these types of wire bundles. Once completed and installed in the pit, the individual wire bundles (made up of about 7-10 individual wires each) will be cabled to each other once run where they need to be similar to the second pic from the start of the 1:1 (but not exactly) above:

DSC03586.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

More................................

Edited by Out2gtcha

DSC03587.jpg

DSC03588.jpg

DSC03589.jpg

Now it was time to start the IPs. KH delivers the IPs with two choices (actually 3 technically). 1) you can paint the IP by hand using all of the supplied raised details. 2) you can shave off all of the details and use the kit supplied IP decals. 3) you can do what I did, and leave the raied detail on, highlight some things on the IP, and lay the decals right over the raised detail.

You can see here, I started the process. The KH decals are so far VERY thin and compliant.

***WORD OF WARNING!!!!***

Those of you intending on using the OOB decals for this should know the KH decals are SUPER DUPER thin, and do rip quite easy. Just get them where you need them as you only have a few seconds to work them before they start settling in. They DO work over the raised details of the IP, but I would HIGHLY recommend cutting the decals up into more manageable chunks as I have done here. This way, you can deal with each raised section 1 at a time, and have less chance of the decals ripping or folding up on you. I have gotten a start applying them over a gloss coat applied to both IPs:

DSC03594.jpg

DSC03595.jpg

The basic IP decals now completed, with a flat coat to come. Still have to pick out all of the raised buttons/levers here as wel, so a ways to go stilll:

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

I finally did get a flat coat on both IPs. Then I took some Future and hand painted in (with the help of a liner brush and some cocktail sticks) the clear "glass" on the display screens as well as the instruments:

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03603.jpg

DSC03604.jpg

Nothing here perfect, and the pilots IP has one section of the decal that got totally screwed up and is very off, but it doesnt look bad unless your right close up on it like in these pics so Im not worried about it.

All for now gents, but more work to commence this week with it being so cold. As Bill said great modeling weather!

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Yes Brian I want More :please:         Like a drug addict needs their FIX.  She is real coming along to.

I have a question for you. Can you open all the pilots boarding steps including the folding one under the fuselage? You can see it under the side mounted side STEP in the right upper corner of the photo.

frouch_ov-10a_12_zps2c8fa7bf.jpg

Thanks Danny!  As to the folding step, that I am not sure of. I dont think so but I can check again tonight. I know for sure you can extend all of the side steps (which I however will be keeping closed) but not sure about the pilots step. Ill have to check, as its possible they give you a folded one and maybe an extended one? 

Not sure yet and dont remember seeing them.

Thanks Danny!  As to the folding step, that I am not sure of. I dont think so but I can check again tonight. I know for sure you can extend all of the side steps (which I however will be keeping closed) but not sure about the pilots step. Ill have to check, as its possible they give you a folded one and maybe an extended one? 

Not sure yet and dont remember seeing them.

Thanks Brian

Not hard to scratch build if need be :hmmm:

Here's an old thread explains the tank types.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=39688&st=420

Hope it helps,

Timmy!

Timmy

Thank you for the link and I believe I can say it for Harold and Brian too :hmmm: Now we do know there is two different wing drop tanks :doh:

Cheers

Danny

OHHHHHH That's looking nice - I can feel my wallet twitching....... I must resist :frantic: .......... for now!!!!!

Love the IP Brian and those wire bundles look ace - what kind of wire did you use they look right on for the scale?

Happy Days - Taff :D