Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Harold this is for you. You mentioned that the Center fuel tank nose is off. I may have missed led you :hmmm:  The above photo is the Aero 1 C  tank as on the A-4.

But KH modeled the center tank on this tank see below photos.

frouch_ov-10a_04_zpsbaeb74b3.jpgfrouch_ov-10a_10_zps0aba03f3.jpgfrouch_ov-10a_12_zps2c8fa7bf.jpg

You can see how the Tank has a brace plate where the tank mounts to the sway braces. 

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

This example of a D model appears to have both style tanks on it with the stepped tank being on the starboard side, and a smooth nose tank on the port:

ov-10d_155494_01_of_26.jpg

ov-10d_155494_14_of_26.jpg

Brian I think they are the same style tank?

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys. I think it will indeed be a fun kit!

Brian I think they are the same style tank?

Im not sure.......................maybe your right and its just the angle that the pic was taken at. But when you put outlines up against each the starboard wing tank seems to have a more distinct "notch" or step in it that the port wing doesnt seem to have, but again, it could very well be the angle of the pic:

ov-10d_155494_01_of_26_mod_1.jpg

Again it might just be me and the way Im looking at it, but regardless of the style of tank, these two both seem to have the swept back fins.

remember. a lot of these aircraft are "restored" or civilian owned. they maybe not correct, like we learned on our T-6 project.

last weekend i was at a Army/Navy surplus store. the owner had a "500lb bomb" for sale.

i showed him it was a practice WWII USN aircraft homing torpedo. and i got the money he had on sticker out of my pocket.

but he saw on my iPad the value, and doubled the price on me.

i left it there. what i'm saying is lots of people don't really know what they have. and will use what ever fits.

Thanks guys! Thanks for chiming in Glenn. I think you are absolutely right. Which is why I need to do a bit more research on the wing tank fins.

The kit so far is a real pleasure to build and  so far, it fits as great as it looks.

More work this week now that I have my MM colors.

BTW, thanks for the color call-outs in MM #s!   Cheers on that, as MM enamel is about the most prevalent paint (and fortunately after trying lots of other paint the one I like best) we have at my LHSs.

Thanks guys.  :)  Smitty, they do indeed look like napalm canisters, but it seems to be quite a normal wing mounted fuel tank load for the late D model Broncos.
I spent the weekend with this bucking girl, and did get quite a bit of progress completed...............

Harold this is for you. You mentioned that the Center fuel tank nose is off. I may have missed led you :hmmm:  The above photo is the Aero 1 C  tank as on the A-4.

But KH modeled the center tank on this tank see below photos.

frouch_ov-10a_04_zpsbaeb74b3.jpgfrouch_ov-10a_10_zps0aba03f3.jpgfrouch_ov-10a_12_zps2c8fa7bf.jpg

You can see how the Tank has a brace plate where the tank mounts to the sway braces. 

Yes, that is a 230 gallon tank if remember correctly. It has a special hardback welded on the top.