Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Thanks again guys!  This one was a real treat to build even with the decal sitch.

Speaking of real treats, looks like I should have two OV-10As soon. One to build for Glen to display on his manufactures table as shows, that will be OOB, and one for myself to deck out with a TON of AM whenever it all comes out.  Really looking forward to getting my hands on an A model Bronc!

Looks like I will continue to be up to my pits in Broncos for while!  Speaking of the A model, I got my latest AM addition for my own personal OV-10A when they come, courtesy of my wallet & Harold/AMS and Spruebrothers:

DSC03953.jpg

On to some progress with the OV-10D................

Edited by Out2gtcha

Well, its broken record time again................

Im not sure what you all use for flat coats, as I have seen a ton of different stuff out there, used by a lot of different people. The way I figure it, is you should stick with whatever works for you as an individual...............and I found mine! 
Its of course MMs enamel system flat clear.  I know, I know, I go on and on about this stuff, but every time I use it, Im amazed. It always seems to perform so well for me.
I think a lot of that IS in fact due to warm, dry/non humid drying conditions, as well as the flat itself being very user friendly. I cant say enough about this stuff, Its really a modelers dream IMHO.  It goes on super easy, you dont have to put a crap ton of it on to get flat effects, even over the top of the equally great MM gloss. It also dries as solid as anyone could hope for as well.
I have had a static issue in my modeling room lately however with all the dry conditions, so you will have to excuse all the  fuzz in the pics, but its not in the clear, but was attracted after it was dry. The MM flat coat also allows you to adjust how flat things are by how much you apply. The flat came out just like I wanted, flat, with that used by not abused look. Ill let the pics speak for themselves:

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

DSC03949.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

DSC03951.jpg

Its now fun time!!! I get to unmask everything, and I can now start adding details, like the pilot tube, aerial antenna, gear (once they are done that is), gear doors, upper turbine vent covers, spoilers and can then finish off the remaining interior pieces I left off for the painting phase.

Ive learned a lot of good lessons building KHs D model OV-10, so Im certainly going to apply those lessons when I start building the two OV-10As shortly.

Thanks for stopping in on me, and cheers!

Thanks guys! I really value LSPers opinions over most any other on the net because of the build quality around here.

The clears worked really well. William, I TOTALLY agree with that as the build really starts to come alive when you reveal the canopy.......and in this case there's a hell of a lot of canopy to reveal!

I'm still totally bummed about cracking the canopy, and the spider cracks on the other side, but I'm hoping it's not as noticeable as I think it will be. I hope.

Holy cow! Man, this build keeps getting better and better. She looks amazing, I can only hope my build looks half as good!

Cheers,

Ski

Brian Happy for you getting the first A version kits.  You have done the D version Justice,

Cheers

Thanks guys. Id say out of all here, it sounds like you two might be as freaky about the OV-10 as I am!!!  Good to have some others who have knowledge about the OV-10 too.

Im likely going to be enlisting help from the both of you on my A builds.................so get ready to be bugged if I cant find something.  :lol:

Cheers is right!  I've been using MM's lacquer flat for years (granted I've only completed 3 models, but Hey!) and love the stuff.  Love those red circles.  Super contrasting.

To my eye there is less contrast between the decals and camo pattern, note Post 409.  Is that lessening of contrast attributable to flat coat only or did I miss a value-diminishing post?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

great photographs too! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mitch!  Im not a real photographer by any means, but the little Sony I use does a decent job on macro stuff, and I just try to keep things in focus, and filling the frame.

Very sweet build! I especially like that tight camouflage, and the finish looks fantastic.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom!  The blu-tac always does a nice job of tightening the demarks up.....................I was REALLY tempted to do this one by hand, but after remembering my Mk XIV spit, and knowing this one had 3 colors on it, I decided my ham-fists wouldn't cut it.