Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

Guest Uncle Fester

"Leper Colony" but then, to keep it authentic, you'd have to schputz it with Olive Drab. So---no.

Make up your own.  Unless you have to have total authenticity.  Just a thought though.

• 1 month later...

Hello to one and all.

I haven't been around much due to preparing the house for the bleak winters we have here in S.E.Bulgaria..loft insulation/concreting a drive and I have had family staying from the UK and a couple of Gigs to do with my band...so the old B17G has been neglected for a while...................however!..................

yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

ITS ALL DONE!!

....After well over 2 years.....this afternoon I managed to finish it!....I do however have to figure a way of displaying her as I found out this afternoon whilst trying to take some photos...I had to balance it on a plastic tub and turn the camera at a daft angle to get the shots!!...as you might see in a mo!

So here we have the last post before RFI.........

I had to make a crew hatch which was made from plastic and covered it with aluminum tape like the rest of the model......

vid%20004_zpsdt5260sa.jpg

vid%20005_zpsg8uteljc.jpg

Here it is in place.....

x%20024_zpslwturjoc.jpg

I then made the RDF loop antenna out of an old bomb from a kit and shaped it up a bit!......

vid%20003_zpsgzxlrbsb.jpg

...and in place......

x%20021_zpsgv2u3tki.jpg

All the MGs have been scratched but I finally had to make the barrels...here they all are attached to the guns...

b%20016_zpsodcfe449.jpg

x%20049_zpsfdiwvkat.jpg

b%20003_zpstfjspjje.jpg

x%20040_zpsdhjgms1v.jpg

lots of photos so I have to re post!!

So as I mentioned I decided to have a go at the nose art work for the B17G delivered to the USAAF in 1945 named "FUDDY DUDDY".....The actual Aircraft is still airworthy to this day and is seen at many an air show around the world.....I chose this as it was easier to hand paint! ;)....and that I liked it of course!

The only way that I could do this was to first draw the shapes on a piece of kitchen foil ...then hand paint it using enamels ...carefully cut around the logo and then uhu them on to the fuelage!...the thousands of bombs were a bit of a drag but I managed to get it all done.....I was about to glue the logo on the starboard side when I realized that "old Fuddy Duddy" was suppose to be a mirror image of the port side!!...and so I had to hand paint another one!!!

Here is a photo of the logo hand painted on a piece of kitchen foil.......

vid%20001_zps06stxgcj.jpg

and here is the finished nose art on the Port side....

b%20008_zpsmpz8bmij.jpg

x%20030_zpsmhx5uw7n.jpg

x%20029_zps5gxtsumc.jpg

......and the Starboard side....

x%20035_zps0piltgea.jpg

x%20039_zpsqdfjgs3u.jpg

here are a couple of shots from above.....

x%20045_zpslp5jzrmk.jpg

x%20044_zpsy2qbw3pp.jpg

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for sticking with this project till the bitter end...I am very pleased with the end result and in the future might continue down the rest of the fuselage...but I really need a break from Scratch building and I will be making an OOB kit for a change before my next project.

I have to now figure a way of displaying this B17G and then take a shed load of photos for RFI ...thanks again for all your input and support over the years and I'll see you in RFI !!! smile.pngsmile.png ....

Still can't believe its all done!! ohmy.png

Cheers

Fozzy