Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

That is all the photos of the bottom half of the Fuselage build.

YOU ARE NOW UP TO DATE!!

started on upper half of the fuselage the other day but before I show you the build pics I would like to thank all of you who have commented so far...thank you very much :)

What a great idea.  Fantastically executed as well.  What's the scale?

Sincerely,

Mark

Sorry Mark...I left that bit out didn't I?!!! :doh: .....its coming out at 1:20 scale!....chuffing big!!...just as well I am just doing the front end!!! :whistle:

WOW, THAT'S TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!!   Thanks for posting all of this and thanks in advance for posting the rest of the build.  I'm loving every little bit of this build.  Fozzy, you have just become my new hero. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but I never really knew how to go about it.  You are showing us the way.  Please keep it coming.  

Oh yeah, before I forget.  Have I told you you're my new hero?

Okay..so finally for today I will show you exactly where I am up to at the moment with this project...............

The first thing I felt I had to do was to strengthen the top half of the fuselage with a second skin. This was done by paneling it with plastic card. All the rivets had to be done on the skin which was managed by my handy little tool that I made.....a pin super glued into a kit sprue!!

lk002_zps385c7428.jpg

...no expense spared boys!!! ;)

Here we are riveting the second skin....really laborious!!.....

lk001_zps248a3e81.jpg

....and here's the first panel ready to be glued on.......

lk005_zps7788a4ca.jpg

...all finished....those of you who are paying attention and are observant you will notice that the 50 cal has only one barrell....this is not a special Bendix chin turret ......its that I broke the bl#**y thing off!!! by accident  :angry2:

m008_zpsf8f4cf61.jpg

m009_zps431c36ee.jpg

m006_zps07f48f38.jpg

So that's it for today.

I am in the process of tidying up the side window aperture's and the interior walls.....when that is complete I'll post again.

Thanks a lot for looking in!

Fozzy

Holy cow man!!!  That is mighty fine work!

J

Cheers J ;)

WOW, THAT'S TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!!   Thanks for posting all of this and thanks in advance for posting the rest of the build.  I'm loving every little bit of this build.  Fozzy, you have just become my new hero. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but I never really knew how to go about it.  You are showing us the way.  Please keep it coming.  

Oh yeah, before I forget.  Have I told you you're my new hero?

How do you know I wear my underpants over my trousers?! :D

Cheers J ;)

How do you know I wear my underpants over my trousers?! :D

It's been a well known fact that all scratch building heroes wear their underwear over the trousers.  That's how you know which ones they are at the model shows and in the hobby shops. I thought you knew that.   :rofl:  :bow:

What a wonderful build! I am sure you are enjoying every minute of it.

You have taken the old stick and tissue method of building models, like modelers used to do 80-90 years ago,  and instead of covering it with tissue you are using thin sheet plastic. Then since you are interested in the interior you are specializing in making just that, the interior. 

The joy of scratch building is that you are not limited by using only what came in the kit box, be it plastic or wood or resin or even metal. You are free to make what you want out of your choice or materials.

Your ability to build from scratch gives you the freedom to use whatever material you prefer.

You are one of the fortunate modelers in that you have the ability and desire to do more than just assemble the parts given to you you in the kit; you make your own parts. Most of us have to buy extra parts to try to get the same results. 

That's modeling!

Bravo :clap2: :bow:

Stephen

What a wonderful build! I am sure you are enjoying every minute of it.

You have taken the old stick and tissue method of building models, like modelers used to do 80-90 years ago,  and instead of covering it with tissue you are using thin sheet plastic. Then since you are interested in the interior you are specializing in making just that, the interior. 

The joy of scratch building is that you are not limited by using only what came in the kit box, be it plastic or wood or resin or even metal. You are free to make what you want out of your choice or materials.

Your ability to build from scratch gives you the freedom to use whatever material you prefer.

You are one of the fortunate modelers in that you have the ability and desire to do more than just assemble the parts given to you you in the kit; you make your own parts. Most of us have to buy extra parts to try to get the same results. 

That's modeling!

Bravo :clap2: :bow:

Stephen

Thankyou for those words Stephen. I still make the occasional model kit and enjoy doing them very much....but the satisfaction of scratch building is way way out there!!....I am very lucky to have taken early retirement and so I have plenty of time on my hands and of course lots of patients...without those two ingrediants ..I could never scratch build.

Cheers

Fozzy