WINGNUT LVG with USCHIE DECAL Finished!

Simmo.b

I grabbed the Wingnut LVG when it first came out, started it. did a crappy job on the interior and then consigned her to the shelf of doom where she sat until recently.

I was inspired to start again when I sHi All

aw reports of the excellent Uschie woodgrain decals and wanted a project to give them a try on.

I obtained a set of the Wings Cockpit Figures LVG/Hannover crew which I plan to install to hide the IMHO sub standard (my fault) interior.

As the aircraft would be crewed I will be fitting the engine covers, even so I wired up the motor although I wasn't to careful as to where the wires terminated on the magnetos as they won't be seen.As for using the Uschie woodgrain decals, this is not a cheat or easy way to go as a lot of prep is needed. The decals are translucent and so careful undercoating and bold (well bolder than usual) preshading is needed.

DSC_0227_zpsc651385a.jpg

DSC_0229_zpsa56b53bd.jpg

The motor

DSC_0238_zpsf9d4a254.jpg

Panel by Panel, the Uschie decal is applied

DSC_0243_zps3432772c.jpg

DSC_0244_zps594469bf.jpg

DSC_0246_zps5ffddb28.jpg

Thats all for now, more soon, Comments welcome!!

Edited by Simmo.b

Looks absolutely fantastic.

I've got a LVG with Uschi wood decals in the rigging process (been there for years, sigh), but it doesn't look as good as yours. I think with lozenge and wood decals, about 95% of the model is covered in decals !!

Thanks guys,

Just a quick note on the undercoat process.

First I sprayed Gunz gloss flesh then a pre-shade of gloss black, this was toned down with more flesh before I filled in the centrrs of panels with radome.

Finally I masked od selected panels and painted them flesh before a coat of Tamiya clear.

Matt,

For the area around the observers station I cut strips of decal around 3 to 4 millimeters wide and layed them at an angle.

I worked my way around each side until they met at the rear, leaving a small triangle to be filled in.

If you look carefully at the pics you will see what I mean, I think it captures the effect of a laminated structure which this area of the aircraft would have been (I think so anyway)

Cheers

Brent

Looking great Brent.

I am trying to resist the temptation of starting a new WnW kit using these decals until the Mirage is finished, and this is not helping!

Really nice job mate and good to see you posting on this board.

Eric.

Thanks for the kind comments guys,

To be honest I went with the Uschie decals, first because they looked good on their website and in the "Air modellers guide to WNW", but mostly after seeing James' natter in Model Military, I followed James' method exactly so I can't claim all the credit for my results so far!!

Cheers

Brent

Hi Brent,

Great work on the wooden fuselage. These decals are very convincing. I saw them at Telford and wish I could find a use for some.

If I recall, they also produce some weathering effects in decal too. Rust or grime I think? Mainly aimed at armour modellers I would guess.

Keep at it, she's looking cool.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

More progress on the LVG, I got the rest of the wood grain decals on and as Eric G had scorched earth all of our LHS supplies of Tamiya clear I payed him a visit and he kindly allowed me to use his gucci workshop to shoot a coat of clear over the wood grain to seal in the decals.

After a days drying I applied the WNW decals, still have to seal them and apply the panel washes but here is the progress so far.

DSC_0447_zps9bdf93ec.jpg

DSC_0448_zpsf1d35103.jpg

DSC_0449_zps6d7cc515.jpg

DSC_0448_zpsf1d35103.jpg

And with the engine covers temporarily attached

DSC_0451_zpsf8609bbd.jpg

DSC_0450_zps6b5ef5bc.jpg

I have started on the pilot and observer as the pilot needs to be fitted before the turtle deck.

They are the Wings Cockpit Figures set.

I started by cleaning up the castings, the observer in particular needed some work, one of his arms was totally hollow with just a thin veneer of resin holding the shape of the arm. I filled this void with putty.

I paint figures in oils over an enamel undercoat.

DSC_0373_zpsaee0e09d.jpg

DSC_0374_zps55a056b1.jpg

The figures assembled and undercoated with Tamias fine surface primer

DSC_0445_zps2a22a7a7.jpg

DSC_0446_zpsd2dd01b1.jpg

I first paint an area in enamel in the approximate colour that it will end up in, when dry I apply oil colour, remove most of it, then shade and highlight as necessarry.

I start from the head and work my way down going from the inside out, so I would first paint the shirt, then jacket followed by webbing and straps etc