WINGNUT LVG with USCHIE DECAL Finished!

Simmo.b

Looks terrific Brent! Love that wood grain effect.

I have a bottle of that blackening agent from Master (it's the same stuff, co-marketed by both companies), but there are no instructions on how to use it! Only a suggestion that instructions are on each of their respective websites, but of course I can't find anything on either of them. So, I will be most interested to watch what you do with it here Brent!

Kev

Thanks guys!!

Kev, there are tutorials on utube, The trick is to dilute the solution with tap water, this has the effect of slowing down the reaction so that you can pull the peice out when you have a nice gun metal finish (before it goes totally black).

Also, it's best to do any gluing of peices together after you blacken them as the solution wont effect areas under the glue thus leaving brass coloured patches.

Thanks again

Brent

• 4 weeks later...

PILOT PROGRESS!!

I have completed the pilot and observer and fitted the pilot into his seat,

I encountered a problem when I test fitted the centre wing panel in that the pilots hand was in the way Doh!!

I broke the offending arm off and reattached, the resulting ugly gap was covered with a scarf moulded from 2 part epoxy putty,

The pilot still needs final touching but he is nearly there!

DSC_0492_zpsec80d019.jpg

DSC_0493_zpsf24a3222.jpg

DSC_0494_zpsddec4740.jpg

DSC_0521_zpscc9a43e2.jpg

DSC_0523_zpsebbb37a2.jpg

DSC_0527_zps2f3d52ce.jpg

DSC_0539_zps3fd5b67b.jpg

Thanks for looking,more soon

Thanks all!! Your kind comments are appreciated :-)

Eric, I believe the term is douche bag plane driver lol!!

Matt,

This thread covers most of it but here are some tips, I'm no expert mind you as this is my first try with wood grain decals.

1. The undercoat is critical to the final effect as the decals are translucent, I used Gunz gloss flesh for the dark panels and Gunz radome for the lighter with a preshade of gloss black.

2. Decal 1 panel at a time, place Tamiya tape over the required panel slightly overlapping, trace around the panel with a sharp pencil,

Remove the tape, place it on some thin cardboard (I used a cerial box).

Cut around the tape creating a cardboard pattern, place this pattern on the decal sheet and draw around it.

Cut out the decal, soak in water and apply, try to avoid wrinkles as you apply.

3. The reason for using a cardboard pattern is that you can't stick masking tape to the decal sheet as it wrecks the decal.

4. Once you have covered the model apply a gloss coat then the wingnut msrkings followed by another gloss coat, panel washes then a semi gloss coat

5. The model can be handled after this process with no problems, however I would avoid using masking tape on the kit (ask me how I know!!)

Edited by Simmo.b

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. That is a huge help. I've got an Albatros in the stash to do, and was hesitant to build it because of the wood-grain. The decals really look like they make the job easier.

Keep up the great work please. This is a great build

Matt  :frantic: