Canso (Catalina A or US Designation PBY-5A)

Ripaman

Smart solution, Rich.  But!, that front end may need to be round to accommodate the arc of the gear.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing that out as food for thought.

Sincerely,

Mark

Now I think you're just lying to us and actually are restoring a full-size Catalina in your office.  Absolutely jaw-dropping.  Good thing I'm so young, maybe I can pick up a tenth of your skills in years of practice.

Matt  :frantic:

Hi Matt, noooo not building a real one :whistle: , do hope you pick up 150% of the skills by the time you get to 56, I have seen some of your work and you will be there for sure.

Richard

Amazing work my friend, simply amazing

Keep 'em cominmg

Peter

Thanks very much Peter, really enjoing this build

That punch-and-die is absolutely gorgeous ! Well done and very imaginative, for a superlative result !

Hubert.

Thanks Hubert, tool came in very handy, might be able to use it if I need to make any louvers, just by cuting a slit in one side 

I genuinely thought I was looking at pictures of real Catalina nosewheel at first - this is some of, if not THE best scratch-building I have ever seen.

I can't wait for you to tackle the main gear!

Tom

That is a very nice compliment Tom, will try to make Main gear later. 

Richard,

I find your craftsmanship both exceptional and inspiring at the same time; this is truly amazing stuff indeed.

Derek

Thanks very much Derek, I say the same when I see your scratch work

Anyone got a set of knitting needles for sale - I'm looking for a new hobby!  ;)

Seriously amazing work!!  :wub:

Iain

You dont need to do knitting  :rofl: I watched alot of your builds an they are just as amazing. 

As they used to say "there's more than one way to skin a cat" (whatever that means!).  Your solution to the issue at hand was simple and brilliant.

I am definitely learning a lot here!  Thanks~!

Fab

Glad some of my little solutions worked out Fab, I have learn't alot from other modellers on this site, 

Jaw dropping work on the landing gear !

Thanks Loic, as I said above learnt alot from your builds my friend.

Best regards

Richard

Smart solution, Rich.  But!, that front end may need to be round to accommodate the arc of the gear.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing that out as food for thought.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark, I found two pictures in the PBY manual which show some idea what it should be, the first one shows the gear going through the bulkhead

an-01-5ma-2w-p378-1_zpsf65e4549.jpg[/url]

Then after seeing the second picture it showed that there was not a stick out  :hmmm: but it does show that there is a round end at the front, but the opposite and from the first picture you can see a series of rivets which are half round which makes sense because that would be how they joined it together at the front, hope I 'am making sense??

an-01-5ma-2w-p383-1_zps7c3087cf.jpg[/url]

Here is what I have done to the inside to look like the picture,

IMG_6612_zps6ce6f4a3.jpg[/url]

IMG_6613_zps50e57d3c.jpg[/url]

And this is what I have done to the outside, started by cutting a round shape, added some rivets, using the nutter to make the rivets, will add another hole at the other end because that is where they put the tool to unlock if something went wrong with the workings of the gear.

IMG_6623_zps23e5f94c.jpg[/url]

IMG_6622_zps4e1ce5bc.jpg[/url]

IMG_6621_zpsa52ff367.jpg[/url]

IMG_6617_zpsb4b5e959.jpg[/url]

Still not sure if this totaly correct, maybe Vandy can get a picture from the inside, but if he did I think I will leave as is.

Regards

Richard

Absolutely beautiful Richard! Those rivets really set off the overall piece. It honestly looks like it has been riveted together! Tell me, how do you handle and  attach your rivets in such neat little rows? Do you lay down a bed of glue first and then apply each individually? Your spacing on them is so precise, it's pure perfection :)

Craig

Hi Richard

:sorry:  I could not get in the PBY5A, If I did you and I would have the photos of the Cockpit floors and bombardier area. :shrug:

The bad thing to , is that plane is four and a half hours away from me. :(

But yours is looking great :yahoo:

Hi Matt, noooo not building a real one :whistle: , do hope you pick up 150% of the skills by the time you get to 56, I have seen some of your work and you will be there for sure.

Best regards

Richard

Thank you for the words of encouragement Richard.  Especially from a master like you.

I still don't believe you. I think you're making a real Catalina in your garage, and you're just attempting to trick us. The site does say 1/32 and up….

The brass looks like a good investment for the landing gear, this can not be a lightweight kit once all is said and done.

Matt  :frantic:

Dude!  You're the bomb!  I see you've marked off the 'semi-circle' for the two rows of rivets.  What are you using as rivets?  The black ones are Archer, are they not?  What about the 'silver' ones?

Love your micro-detailing, Richard.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Rich; Page 7, Post 98: there is an aft inspection port on the wheel well cover.  It appears to be the same size as the front access port.

Edited by dodgem37

Damn, I'm turning 57 in September so I'll have no chance to ever aquire your skills... :BANGHEAD2:

Outstanding work, Richerd. Next time I visit my relatives in Morinville I'll have to pay you a visit. I MUST see those beauties of yours in the flesh!

Cheers

Rainer

Ripaman, I hope you won't mind me addressing my very first comment at this wonderful place to you.  First, your work is absolutely astonishing.  You were so very close to having the entire parts list for that nose gear that I wondered where were the seals.

I suppose there is such a thing as proportion, but my question would be, can you possibly match what you've done with that nose gear with the rest of the (visible) project?  I'm thinking not only tires, but engines and certainly the office.  Are 1/32 A/N gauges available?

Very nice going. Your work is indeed an inspiration.  Thank you so much for sharing the process with us.

john

• 2 weeks later...

Richard, I'm simply lost for words........and yet words somehow magically appear in front of my eyes..........must be my fingers twitching uncontrollably as my brain tries to comprehend what the eyes are seeing.

My wife asked my what I was saying when I cried out, "plrfjyggfettxxtth!"

Cheers,

Wolf

• 2 weeks later...