Canso (Catalina A or US Designation PBY-5A)

Ripaman

Amazing,

Not quite sure when we can get together. Off to Houston tomorrow, back Saturday. Perhaps the following weekend for a coffee?

Ron

Yea, off myself this weekend, going to Fort Saint John to see my Grandson and hold him for the first time  :yahoo:  :yahoo: I think Houston will be alot warmer, have a good time and see you the following weekend.

Total amazement!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks very much Peter, is getting closer, will be back sanding again  :(

TOTALLY amazing actually..............

Really great work Richard!  As to the Walrus, since its similar HpH type engineering, Im following closely.................Ive ordered a set of custom Masks from Ad Astra for an "Operation Torch" Walrus as well.

I also acquired (for me) a long sought after HpH Me-410, so Im thinking about starting that at some point as well. SO many 1/32nd choices these days!

As always, looking forward to more amazing progress! 

I appreciate your kind words Brian, dam wish I was following you closely, yes there is alot of good 1/32 and 1/24 scale models out there, so which one will you start first  :hmmm:

Hi Richard  You have a milling machine!!!!!!   What type and Model is it?    Is it a desk top or a larger one?       Someday I will have to pick one up.  

To Brain  (Out2gtcha)  Can you let us know what you think of the HPH Me-410?  I like to grab one up soon!

Sorry Richard for the small Hijack :coolio:

Cheers

Hi Vandy, yes have the  table top Sherline lathe and milling machine, these machines I use all the time, go to www.sherline.com

IMG_5974.jpg[/url]

IMG_5973.jpg[/url]

IMG_5958.jpg[/url]

If you are going to buy one or both, these are the machines to buy.

Regards

Richard

Another immensely inspiring instalment Richard! Thanks for putting up the in-progress pics of your milling work. My question is how do you keep your shop so clean????????? :)

haha, no my real question is what is that long, thin cutter bit that you're using? Looks like it would be quite useful for all that lovely detail work.

Cheers 

Craig

Edit: I just realised you are doing all those tapers by hand too…. respect!

Edited by brahman104

Jaw-dropping stuff Richard. If all that equipment was mine, I'd have no fingers left.

Kev

Thanks very much Kev, when you say if you had this equipment you would have no fingers left I say nahh, I think you would make pieces like I do, the mill bits are like .020", .032" used a .250" to mill it to a square before I used the smaller bits. 

Richard ...

Your dedication is admirable..

Even more so is your precision work which makes MY day as I love detailed work.. Masterful.....

The last progress pictures are astounding , pristine and flawless... :wub: :bow:

I wanna be LIKE you when I grow up... :wicked:

:blush: thanks very much Maru, you have made my day again. 

Richard

Holy Cow, that's way beyond a man cave ... it's the ultimate cave.

Peter

Hi Peter, when we bought our home this room was not finished, I knew I was going to spend time in it, so I had in my mind what I wanted and just built it.

Another immensely inspiring instalment Richard! Thanks for putting up the in-progress pics of your milling work. My question is how do you keep your shop so clean????????? :)

haha, no my real question is what is that long, thin cutter bit that you're using? Looks like it would be quite useful for all that lovely detail work.

Cheers 

Craig

Edit: I just realised you are doing all those tapers by hand too…. respect!

Hi Craig, pictures of my room were taken awhile ago, so not as clean any more, regarding Mill bits if you go to www.harveytool.com you will find any shape of cutter you want, I have bought quite a few. The cutter in the last picture is a .032" with a .010" radius, the first piece was done with a .031" ball cutter which I felt after I had done it was to big a radius, so I will do the second piece with a .010" radius and see how that comes out. All the round edges I just filed.

adjective: dumbstruck; adjective: dumb-struck

1. so shocked or surprised as to be unable to speak.

"he was dumbstruck with that nosegear"

...just unbelievable....

You are to kind Peter.

Regards

Richard

Richard

Holy Cow, that's way beyond a man cave ... it's the ultimate cave.

Peter

I completely agree!  But the nicer tools are nothing without the level of TALENT you have, Richard!  I can only dream of getting there one day!

Looking at your amazing work i really feel  ...little. 

Thanks Fab for looking in, do like using the lathe and milling machine, and yes my parts are "little"

Tonite put the recess into the other piece and then used a saw to part the piece off the square block, filed the end round.

Now put them together with .020" brass rod and I feel I got them pretty close to the picture, what do you think?? I can make it go up and down  :mental:

IMG_6554_zpse5f76375.jpg[/url]

IMG_6555_zps1918d166.jpg[/url]

IMG_6556_zpsfbb47478.jpg[/url]

IMG_6557_zpsdc87bca0.jpg[/url]

IMG_6552_zpse95f959c.jpg[/url]

IMG_6553_zps41a3c9e5.jpg[/url]

Regards

Richard

Fantastic work Richard !

What impresses me most is that you manage to get straight oblique lines just using the manual X/Y wheels of your milling machine. That is a craft I am not sure even my employees would master today ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Guest Peterpools

Richard

Just amazing to see you create parts and assemblies so accurately and beautifully.  Sure wish us mere mortals could come close to your skills and abilities.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I must confess I hadn't popped in for a while... boy I have missed some outstanding progress.

That nose gear is nothing short of a work of art - I am somewhat jealous of your skills  :wub:

This is going to be a masterpiece once you're done (well to be fair if you stopped now it would still be pretty impressive!)

Tom