Thanks and Goodbye

csavaglio

This is it for me. With the addition of several new members who have upset what used to be a balanced and open forum, along with the absurd rivet counting that the recent batch of kits has brought, there's no way I want to be a part of this group any longer. This forum has devolved into the "other" forum that many refer to with distaste.

This forum has been helpful over the years, but lately has been more and more frustrating, with many threads breaking down into micrometer measuring nonsense and how no kit is worth it because it's not perfect. This is exactly why many of us left the other forums.

What I'm saying is that this place isn't fun any longer and takes itself and the hobby far too serious now. And because it is sucking the fun out of what is supposed to be an enjoyable past time, I want no part of it.

C

Mate that is bad news for the Forum - you are a valued contributor here and an even, informed good tempered member.

This should act as a lesson to the rest of us guys - there really is too much negativity in the world for it to involve what really breaks down to us playing with toys - no matter how high brow i can think of describing it.

Ads

Edited by Ads

with many threads breaking down

C

It's a shame you're cheesed off.

Lately the staffs radar has been cluttered far too much with threads have gone south.  This is largely because some members are too precious and take offence really easily and others are like a proverbial bull in a china shop.  They are clumsy and rude when aruging the point or putting across their own ideas.  Sometimes when staff have stepped in they've been either ignored (often the offenders are in full stride) or painted as the bad guys for having interfered.

The members of LSP are generally really good at self-moderating.  The staff really prefer not to intervene as we definitely don't seek to yoke or micromanage people and the way they express themselves.  Thats of course a double edged sword where often not intervening leads to a worse outcome.

If its of any consolation the heat has been turned up on the moderation dial.  Some posts have been summarily deleted. 

I can understand your frustration.  If you notice something thats repeatedly happening or there is an issue that bothers you always feel free to jot some thoughts down for the staff to consider. 

Things can change if warranted.

Cheers Matty

Chris,

I am not normally up and posting at 3:45am, but after waking up in the night I decided to "pop on" here just to see what was going on.  When I saw this post, I was quite upset and wanted to reply right away.  I have seen the issues you mention here, and more than one has upset me greatly as well.  It is sad to see adult act the way some have here, and to see an informative thread go south so quickly.  I really do believe they are the exception around here.  I typically grit my teeth, and force myself to stay as far away from it as possible.  So far I have managed to stay clear of at least most of them.  I think that what helps to balance people like those few are others who contribute in a positive and helpful way.  People like you.  Not to mention generous!  I am still indebted to you for helping me out with those Special Hobby P-36A clear sprue parts!

Of course, it is your decision to leave or stay, but I hope that you will reconsider and stay with us.  This forum would be a lesser place without you.  

Cheers Chris!

Sorry to see you go but all forums change as people come and go. Myself I just don't let it get to me and bypass the threads that annoy me. Sure there are some rivet counters here but you get them on every board. I still think that this board is the best when you look at the majority of the posts and I do not see many here with the tall poppy syndrome as you have on other boards.99.9 % of members here are really helpful and never push their views upon others. A pretty good bunch of laid back members.

I do hope you'll reconsider as you are a valued member as we all are here and it is all of us that make this forum such a fine place to hang and share of hobby.

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Very sorry to read your resignation and goodbye post sadly. I've been an active member of the LSP forum for a long time, have thoroughly enjoyed the forum friendships, broadened my modeling skills and horizons and never enjoyed the hobby more. As I looked around over the past few months, it has become very apparent, a healthy percentage of the "older" membership of active builders and forum regulars are no longer here. I started to wonder and ask why; where have they gone.

I can only speak for myself but the amount of forum time and energy devoted to negative threads has reached a new level. Instead of being happy we have models we never would have dreamed of a few years back, we destroyed them, found every negative feature we could and surely let the manufacturer know their efforts were unworthy of us. We've been over this ground before but for heavens sake, this is only a hobby and these are models; not the real deal nor museum master pieces. It's suppose to be an enjoyable and fun way to relax, make new friends and share common interests.

Of course, everything changes, nothing remains the same but change should be for the better.

Chris I just wanted to say goodbye and you will be missed. You helped make the forum a great place to do a lot of Hanger Flying, hang your hat while keeping up the latest threads and builds.

Peter

Well C, I think that is really bad news. I haven't been very active lately here, so I only follow some of the progress. It is true that sometimes peoples' reactions are not very positive. So what if a new kit has something that isn't exactly like the real thing or is 2,14 mm too short? We cry for a specific kit in 1/32 for years and years and when it finally arrives, a couple of people start looking what is wrong with it. Well, that's just sad. 

Some time ago, I built a Mustang from Dragon - I think it looks nice. And I had fun building it too! And when a guy critized it because other kits are better, well I just built another Dragon! It sure drove him nuts! "But I told you that kit is bad !!" You should have loved the look on his face.

I wonder why people need to be negative and I don't like it when it is never good enough. What do you get from being negative? They must have forgotten that we used to be dealing with vacuform kits in the past and not i.m.! I also think it would help if people would read their comments before they post it, just one more time. There is never any need to offend someone, and always a better way to express your opinion. Anyway, I don't care for them, nor for any hidden agendas. And I'll try to bring progress on kits I'm building. I think most of us will try that and bring a positive feeling about the hobby. Maybe one day, it will help you considering to return!

All the best!

Nic 

This is really sad news Chris - You will be sorely missed and LSP will be a slightly worse off place without members such as you.

I can appreciate the way that you feel and I personally believe that the increase the level of scrutiny (and consequent temprement) within some posts and the relatively recent increase of LSP membership may not be entirely unconnected.

However, as already observed, the degree of self moderation by the majority of LSP members is reassuring. 

Derek

I'm afraid my thoughts are on similar lines to csavaglio at present - and one of there reasons I gave up on running the old 32SIG forum (that and getting hacked three times in a row).

I personally have no problems with constructive discussions on how kits can be improved (so I can choose to buy/have a play as I want) - but a lot of the recent negativity, tribalism, toy throwing from prams and down-right rudeness is just uncalled for.

Supposed to be a hobby - and FUN.

All IMHO of course...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Why give in? The majority of modelers here as has been my experience fall somewhere between "Out of the Box and Rivet Counters". The vast majority of modelers live somewhere between the two extremes. They pay little attention to the "noise" of the extremes!

I have found myself wanting to reply to several of the posts of recent that you are speaking of but chose not to. I will not lend my voice to either side of a pointless debate. There are no "experts" here or anywhere else in this hobby. If it satisfies your modeling desire then it is OK by me.

Personally I am a rivet counter I have been in aviation for over 40 years and my goal in "my" hobby is to reproduce in scale as accurately as possible that which I have seen and felt. But that's just ME and not everyone needs or wants that in their hobby nor do they want to hear me be critical of others who do not see it "my way".

When one tries to impose their perspective, view or perception on others then we end up with the type of posts you are referencing.

Some can accept the opinions of others for what they are worth and move on while others see it as a challenge to which they must vindicate themselves.

It's just a hobby! The fate of the world does not hang in the balance.

I am sorry to see you leave you are a talented modeler and you skills and insight will be missed.

Barry

Things have definitely become more "abrasive" recently and we all know certain subjects and topics seem to get the angst boiling more than others.

The old adage of "its not what you say but how you say it" could be adhered to a little better sometimes imho.

I am also sorry to see you go.

Thanks for your contributions to the site and I wish you well for the future.

Phil