A6M2-N "Rufe" Takuma Flying Group *DONE*

Out2gtcha

DSC05048.jpg

DSC05049.jpg

DSC05050.jpg

Finally, a comparison with the OOB MDC part. In these pics you can really tell how flimsy and warped the OOB part is, even after much hot water and steam treatment, its still crazy warped...................it also is VERY evident about the lack of more fine details when compared to the Mk II trolley:

DSC05053.jpg

DSC05054.jpg

DSC05055.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

All for now gents..........................but this week I hope to get a start on paint on the trolley.  I will also post some final pics of the "repair work" I tried to represent on the float, as well as the final weathering with AKI's oil, kerosene leaks and a wash on the Rufe herself. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Oooh very nice Brian! I see you have indeed jumped onto the metal bandwagon :) The results clearly speak for themselves, it really is an amazing medium to work with, especially with a few well soldered joints to provide strength that plastic and glue simply cannot do!

That original trolley doesn't even compare to what you've created here, and a least you know it'll support the weight of the Rufe :)

Soon you'll be building whole sections of models out of the stuff... you have been warned......

Craig

Beautifull work !

The paint job and weathering are just amazing  ;)

Thanks Loic!    Im hoping to have pics of the final paint and weathering on the air-frame soon

That trolley is awesome, good job dude!

Thanks Zak!  Im pretty pleased with how it turned out, but really did have quite some reservations about it before starting. Was not really sure it would turn out like I wanted, but in the end it really seems to have.

Wow, great find with the bolts. And just love the scratch work on the trolley, it looks really convincing.

Jim

Thanks Jim..............................I was hoping that would be the final effect!   Im hoping it will look even better once the paint and weathering are on.   Im also thinking that with a lot of the trolley being made from steel, AND being dipped in and out of the salt water, potentially multiple times a day, Im thinking these probably got pretty grubby.

Excellent work, Brian! Those Meng bolts really add a nice touch, too. I might have to investigate some for myself.

Kev

Thanks Kev! I totally found these by accident and had all but stopped using the SH nuts due to their extraordinarily high price per size. But these Meng bolt heads have really opened up the door price wise.............and your right, for as small as they are, IMHO, they really do add a lot.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Very nice work, really looking foreword to seeing more.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say.  Im hoping to get more progress done this week and weekend. I have the main air-frame paint done and all I need to complete the actual aircraft now is to add the canopy, bomb racks and antenna. The trolley just needs final paint and weathering now, and the whole shebang will be done!

Oooh very nice Brian! I see you have indeed jumped onto the metal bandwagon :) The results clearly speak for themselves, it really is an amazing medium to work with, especially with a few well soldered joints to provide strength that plastic and glue simply cannot do!

That original trolley doesn't even compare to what you've created here, and a least you know it'll support the weight of the Rufe :)

Soon you'll be building whole sections of models out of the stuff... you have been warned......

Craig

Thanks Craig!  I really like working in brass, SO many possibilities.   I really dont think this trolley would have been viable in any other material, with the same ease of working, overall strength, and stiffness.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Awesome Brian!  I really like the sheet of bolts, where did you wrangle those from? I'd definitely be interested in something like that for restoring detail I sand off.

The beaching trolley is going to be a great centerpiece and base for your Rufe.  And brings everything up to another level

Matt  :frantic: