A6M2-N "Rufe" Takuma Flying Group *DONE*

Out2gtcha

Hey Kev.....

That is something that I have been wanting to fix for awhile, but didnt figure anyone cared. I was going to do it for my own weird satisfaction, but just had not ever gotten around to it. Im not even sure how the PB codes for the pics got so messed up, since I really didnt change albums.

I made the time today and all of the missing pics on the first two pages are now fixed!

Cheers,

I care Brian. I think a lot of us are going to use your build and notes as the professor teaching brain surgery to a bunch of pre med students

John, Mark, thanks for stopping in on me and taking the time to post. It really does help me personally to know someone is watching and the WIP might be entertainment or even a useful guide on things for someone interested in this project.

I too agree that when a model gets to this point, for me at least it just starts getting fun!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't like building models. I LOVE painting them and putting on the finishing touches. That's what it's all about for me!

John

hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

I care Brian. I think a lot of us are going to use your build and notes as the professor teaching brain surgery to a bunch of pre med students

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't like building models. I LOVE painting them and putting on the finishing touches. That's what it's all about for me!

John

Thanks guys! Its nice to know that some are in fact looking even when its not "AirScale" real!   :lol:    I too love this part of a build John.

Beautiful looking build, Brian!

How did you get that prop to look so much like polished aluminum? Is that Alcad you are using?

Love the worn prop backsides too!

Thanks for the warm words Tom.  The reason it looks so much like real metal is because it IS real metal. This is the all metal prop for the type 21 Zeke made by Acu Stion available from HLJ.  Its cleaned up pretty well, but need to do some more "roughing" of the surface.

It started off with the very first stage of the weathering process.................

This very first stage out is taking a pass with 4000 grit paper over the whole airframe to smooth the paint demarks down.....................then 3600 grit finishing paper to create wear marks only, but not any chipping yet. This would have been confined to the areas taking the most traffic by the crew and pilot..............IE cockpit sills, gun bays, forward wing root ect, ect. So this is where I tried to contain my activities, including some of the fill panels on teh forward nose behind the cowl.

This was not to create any chipping, but more to create the effect I have seen of the darker colors (in this case the IJN green) wearing through first in the high foot traffic areas.

This will later be followed by a SUPER thinned layer of Tamiya Buff to even things out, and represent the ultra harsh UV conditions these things existed in.................but for tonight, just the wear marks:

DSC04926.jpg

DSC04930.jpg

Again, trying to contain this type of wear to the center of the fuse, cockpit sills and so on. Fortunately it worked out EXACTLY like I wanted, and with the camo already on, it actually blends quite naturally, and looks pretty good from the ref pics Ive seen:

DSC04927.jpg

DSC04928.jpg

DSC04929.jpg

Some of the forward fill covers and the starboard cockpit rail:

DSC04931.jpg

DSC04932.jpg

I sanded the entire airframe smooth, but contained the real wear marks to center mass:

DSC04933.jpg

Next I finished up the prop. Still have some work to do on the spinner before assembly, but its 95% done with the exception of said assembly with spinner:

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

All for tonight gents...................in the next few days its on with the super thin buff then some more finish sanding and on to the next phase!

Thanks for the warm words Tom.  The reason it looks so much like real metal is because it IS real metal. This is the all metal prop for the type 21 Zeke made by Acu Stion available from HLJ.  Its cleaned up pretty well, but need to do some more "roughing" of the surface.

Well, that prop is awesome, and would look great on my newer A6M2; but I understand why you want to make it look more war-worn. Thanks for the link man!

Convincing for sure

Thanks Ron................Im not aiming for 100% realism with this one,  but I am trying to generally follow an amalgamation of the war wear ive seen in some of the A6M2-Ns. This scheme is depicted several ways, but Montex, Hasegawa, various modelers around the globe, and a lot of them are quite varied from fully chipped AND "flaked" up by Hasegawa, to a looser camo like the montex masks, so I just tried to guestimate what I thought was cool since no one to my knowledge has been able to find actual pictures of this groups Rufes.