Trumpeter A-6A Intruder

petrov27

That's kind of a big oops on Trumpeter's part! I've noticed poorly designed intakes like that on other kits of theirs too. Looks like you found a very nice fix there without much effort, much better than the original.

My a-6 is very close to the same state as yours. I suspended work betting some new fans would be cast in resin.

Yeah, the temptation is great to hold off and wait for new seamless intakes in resin but no idea how quick that will be - I haven't heard anything about them being in process by anyone yet...

I agree with your posts earlier, the intake itself is no issue to sand out my sample fit really well here....it is just the fan....i went ahead and started the wings as I will do mine wings extended and flaps down.

Guest Peterpools

Nice work on the intake and the fan. Sure hope when I'm ready for my A6, the resin guys will be in full swing

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming'

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Not a ton of progress - I started the wings - lots of parts there but so far the fit is good.

Otherwise I have tried the latex house paint method to smooth the inside of the intakes; what a mess, I am not real sure how this is gonna work out - I guess we will see! One recommendation - do not try this while on lunch from work in dress shirt, slacks and shoes - I managed to drop a intake piece that was full of white house paint - really splatters far when it hits the concrete floor :oops:

First time I have used Kilz latex white primer on a plastic kit:

003_zpsc45bf776.jpg

I gave up on airbrush and enamels..I have done 3 coats with rattle can lacquer onto a saucer then brushing it on. (Mat white) It works ok because it dries fast..the finish is ok so long as no-one shines a real bright torch down there..what a hold up..never done so much work on one small part!! (Trump A4E by the way but with Harold's intakes)

To to refresh my foggy memory......

basically one end is capped off, the "container" intake part(s) are then filled with the latex, paint is allowed to bite and then poured out.......repeating as needed?

Thanks

Yep this is pretty much it. I am not real thrilled with the outcome using the Kilz; it looks to have dried uneven in spots. Hopefully once dry it will sand out a little and be OK.

Well the latex paint poured intakes were a bust - it dried very uneven and had collected a bunch around the end of the intake in a "lumpy" fashion. Tried to sand it down but it did not take to sanding very well. Sooo, stripped the paint off of the parts, sanding the residue off - very time consuming....

Otherwise started the wings and have one about complete - lots of parts involved - the fit was decent overall though I think I ended up with a few spots where I could have done better on the flaps; next one I build will probably have the flaps and slats dropped as it will make the build a little easier I think.

Fairly large wing area on this beastie; comparing to another 1/32 project I have underway:

001_zpsf3ea8fe1.jpg

The last time I tried the laytex trick, I had the same problem. I'll stick to the old school way! I too have noticed while building my beast on how big this thing is getting! Next to a F-4 or Hornet I'm working on, it's a fat cow of a model! I've been trying to deside to build the whole wing before attaching it and your wing looks good! I did sand off the clip on the wing root so I can test wit, wish Trumpeter wouldn't do that!!

Paul