Zoukie 219 hits town..

Darren Howie

Direct from the Volks store in Osaka with a 219.

If anyone in OZ wants a cheap Revell one i have two going as of right now.

The Zoukie kit after the letdown that the Revell one is with its inaccurate here we go(Props,nacelles/incorrect shape,landing gear/unloaded,squashed fuselage/almost square not thin and slender,canopy/squashed, not sure if i have forgotten any but the list is huge) looks like a true blinder.

The box is packed with enough sprues of very nicely molded components.

With over 60 parts each engine is a kit in its own right and no need for resin here.

Full gun bays from the tray to the shrage music plus wing guns again with ammo feeds and nice guns themselves.

The molding of the single piece wing structure with ribs etc is a sight to see.

Cockpit is fantastic.

Option of metal of plastic gear and white brass by G Factor also an option direct from ZM gives you enough strength to hold down that nose weight to keep it level.

The surface detail is lovely very restrained and looks excellent.

WIth full gun bays,engines and cockpit including a framing option minus glass to give max visibility to the completed cockpit we have easily now the ultimate 219.

The cowl flap(yes cowl flaps not gills) actuator is to be seen to be appreciated and they even got the overlapping cowl flaps correct.

That part alone sets this kit apart from most manufacturers for petite yet complicated detail parts.

Front canopy was corrected from the test shots which had it to pointed and flat.

ZM have done a great job on this kit and if you want an "accurate" 219 as opposed to the Revell frankenstein with its fat squashed fuselage plus litany of problems that would cost more than the starting price of the ZM one to fix it really is your go to kit.

Expensive?

I personally dont think so with enough detail that fits to keep any super detailer happy for a long time and save you a mass of cash on resin and elbow grease making it fit i think its a bargain.

The only guys who wont like it are the shake and bakers who want a clean kit for cheap which the Revell kit could of been.

Well i guess it is but just don't hold a set of plans anywhere near the Revell kit or they will spontaneously combust and turn to ash.

If your in OZ and want a Revell one let me know i have two on the market...

If your in OZ and want a Revell one let me know i have two on the market...

I was lucky enough to already score the Revell kit off another member for cheap, who also prefers the look of the ZM offering. Now, if I could find one of those for cheap...

Kev

There's no doubt that the ZM kit is far superior in every way to the Revell offering, and to the 'rivet counters' amongst us, it's great that the model exudes all of the qualities they expect from a kit of this subject. However, the Revell kit does make a very nice model and I doubt that any 'normal' modeller out there displaying this alongside a ZM rendition would have the general public pointing out the subtle differences? Once again, it's 'you pays yer money and makes yer choice' when it comes to buying. I will be building the Revell kit and enjoying it for what it is, I'm afraid I don't have the time to build super duper kits like the ZM ones these days even though it's beautiful to see such perfection. Now I much prefer to complete more kits that are less complicated, that way I feel I've achieved something for that year rather than having a load of 'hangar queens' in boxes through taking too long to finish. Only once in my entire life have I had a member of the public lightly criticise a model of mine when it was displayed at a show, and that was because he flew it during the war! The odds of it ever happening again I'd think would be zero! So having ultimate kits are great, but I doubt I'll live long enough to finish them all! Happy days, what a fantastic situation to be in eh!

Edited by Royboy

Agree Royboy its a great time for modelling.

I cant wait to get an A-6!

As proven by numerous guys a nice looking 219 can be gotten out of the Revell kit.

However it isnt accurate in fact its far from accurate.

Not to mention the fact that if the very same plastic had arrived from a certain Chinese manufacturer it would of been shredded on forums.

Yet it wasn't as somehow Revell seem to have a teflon coating.

Kits with problems..219,HE-111,Halifax,109(its not even out yet and people are complaining about engineering decisions).

Not ideal but in some parts of the world(definitely not ALL the same as Chinese manufacturers)they are cheap.

If its ok to can the Chinese for errors Revell gets the same honour..

How does one order this kit in Canada?

Luckymodel maybe they carry them under brand Super wing series.

to be hoinest i was not really attracted to this plane but seeing a couple of builds got me to change my mind!

i really want to try a ZM kit one day

Erm - whilst the ZM kit is probably more accurate in shape than the Revell kit (I don't have the ZM kit so can't comment with any substance) I think Darren overstates the 'problems' with the Revell kit.

I'm still convinced it can be made into a pretty accurate model.

Cost to 'fix' mine so far - about £20 for the Barracuda cowls and Eduard wheels - but they aren't needed to correct the Revell kit - just provide alternatives (closed cowls and smooth tyres would be correct from kit).

So - in my book - it's just a few modelling skills that need to be deployed - not 'more than the cost of the ZM kit'.

And Revell kit has been available for under £20 with one retailer here in UK recently.

Just my 10 pence worth...

I do agree that the ZM kit is a stunning piece of tooling though! :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

How does one order this kit in Canada?

HLJ, Sprue Brothers and Lucky Model all carry ZM kits. You may want to compare shipping costs from each though.

I recieved mine from HLJ but I've since noticed Lucky is charging less for shipping.

Carl

I do agree that Iains kit came out FANTASTIC.

However, & absolutely nothing against Revell, cause they have and still do put out some great models, but actual dollars aside its the work involved for me, period.

I have the extra disposable income to afford the ZM kit. Again actual dollars/GBP aside, money is much less precious to me than my modeling time. I have seen ALL the work gone into Iains and in the end it looks stupendous, but I would and will NEVER be putting that much work into chopping up and modifying a kit.

And like Iain, Im not one to build something knowing there are things that inaccurate like the wing/nacelle positions and the canopy especially. I wont deny the Revell offering can be made into a decent model, I would jsut never be willing to put in the work it needs to get there. My time alone, in that regard, MORE than makes up for the extra cost of the ZM kit.

In the end, even if I did put in the work required to get a decent 219 out of the Revell offering, I still would see that windscreen and some other oddities Ive noticed and think to myself I should have just bought and built the ZM kit from the jump.......................

So that’s exactly what I'm going to do.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Revell cater for the masses where as ZM cater for the people with masses of disposable money imho.

I have the Revell kit and blow me. Looking at the pics on google of built ones it looks just like a He219. But there again I aren't looking for perfection as my modelling skills couldn't deliver it in the first place.

As fantastic as the ZM kit looks. It's far too much kit for my skills or wallet

Super that the ZM kit is getting boxed and sent out-it is gorgeous. And congrats to those that can drop the cash and have it as part of their 1/32 inventory. The world of 1/32 scale in the last 10 years is absolutely stunning! Just the topic we are discussing of kit release conflict of the same subject is proof.

Myself, I got the Revell issue this last weekend for Father's day here in the States and to get a WWII twin for $52.00 (including shipping), especially an UHU - Bravo Revell!

I did mention this in another thread, that I already have the Combat Models Vac kit as well as Rutman's resin and metal set which I will accomodate any corrections to my Revell kit as necessary. Perhaps it is that I still have the "Old School" 1/32 blood in me that it is really no bother to administer tweaks. Used to it I guess. From what I saw in the box, So very worth the price I say. Perhaps I will be able to get a ZM UHU someday, until then, Revell will certainly do.

What are your motives to bash the revell kit so badly ? I am not sure why you would need to tell us this when we already know in this instance.

The revell kit isnt that bad and i think there is a major difference in price that negates the no doubt speruor quality of the zm kit

I have no doubt the zm kit is super - but no need "to pee in my chips " so to speak i have both kits and there are positives and negatives to each kit -budget decides your choice i suppose

Revell is not perfect - no modelling company is - but like roy daid you pay your money and you takes your chances- i dont bag modelling companies as they give us the chance to recreate our childhood and continue that into adulthood - and i am being sencere and very honest in my view to be suspicious of one sided arguments of any model maker or kit

Ads

Hi Ads

Quite easy.

There is a misguided opinion that the latest release Revell kits are golden.

If anything it seems Revell's current track record is worse than Trumpeters yet on the forums on boards they are viewed as great value.

Yet they have more flaws than you can point a stick at.

Yet when a manufacturer who takes A)) the time to get it right B) listens to accuracy problems from modellers and corrects issues They should be praised.

As i said in my first post the Revell kit can be built into a nice kit.

Iain's and Brett Greens builds are perfect examples both lovely models.

But its far from accurate and Revell would be better off spending more time in developement getting kits correct than us spending money fixing problems with them.

Spending cash to upgrade is one thing but spending money to fix props,landing gear,cowl flaps and things you really cant fix.

The beautiful JU-88 is an amazing kit and great value for money if they had maintained that standard people who not be complaining.

If one person or preferably ten buy a ZM kit over a Revell one maybe Revell may start to listen and based off the A-6 the way Trumpeter has..

Agenda yes..Revell as the ability to tool lovely kits for decent prices that are accurate, what has gone wrong?

Edited by Darren Howie