Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

And here are the promised photos, with the engine installed and the cowling fixed in place. Firstly, a check of the modified position with respect to the cowling:

5OY0MN.jpg

Pretty close, I think!

Here's where the cylinders sit depth-wise in the cowling:

77I2IS.jpg

A bit dark in there, but that's the point of not going overboard with this stuff. It just has to look good from the front:

Zj7Y0g.jpg

And the much discussed equipment atop the gearbox housing:

G9pAez.jpg

This exercise really tested my deteriorating eyesight, so if you spot any glaring clunky bits, you'll  have to forgive them!

Now that the cowling is in place, I'm going to have to deal with one last major issue - the gaps created by my not getting the cowling and flaps to fit perfectly:

cmnMg3.jpg

The gap on the starboard side where the cowl flap fails to meet up with the upper panel is particularly noticeable, and I'll have to carefully shim it with styrene strip. This won't look spectacular either, but is definitely the lesser evil. As it is, this gap really ruins the look of the entire area, from almost any angle or distance. Just making it less noticeable will be a victory.

More soon.

Kev

And still this kit fights you.  

Will this faithless Corsair never learn?  

NOTHING shall deter the Mighty Kevin from taming this tempestuous beast! 

Great work as always Kev and Gods speed!

Dan

Thanks, Dan! Gaps all fixed, photos tomorrow.

Kev

Great work on the radial Kev, looks great mounted up.  :thumbsup:

You have about whipped her!

Dan

Thanks, Dan. As it happens, I've discovered that the wing-tip lights don't fit at all well, so I have a bit of remedial work to do to sort that out now.

Looks great Kev. You and Harv are both making a lot of progress on your Corsairs. Hopefully the prop blades arrive soon for you to finish up.

Carl

Thanks, Carl - very grateful for your donation to the cause!

Kev

Thanks, Dan. As it happens, I've discovered that the wing-tip lights don't fit at all well, so I have a bit of remedial work to do to sort that out now.

Kev

Kev, if you have any of the clear UV gel available,you might want to try that for the tip lights. I used it on my Skyraider instead of the kit's tiny light parts.

Carl

Kev, if you have any of the clear UV gel available,you might want to try that for the tip lights. I used it on my Skyraider instead of the kit's tiny light parts.

Carl

I do have some, actually, but I think these lights are too big, and would need too much shaping and contouring. At the moment, I've superglued them in place, and am slowly blending them in with successive rounds of CA and sanding. I'll stop and take some photos.

Kev

Photos!

Firstly, the gaps around the cowling have been dealt with:

Q1nj3x.jpg

You can see the repairs if you look closely, but the overall effect is much improved. I lost some of the subtle weathering in this area when I had to blend it all back in, but it's a worthwhile trade-off.

Wing-tip lights being faired in:

Rl4nml.jpg

A little bit more polishing, and I think I can get away with adding the clear red and green coats. Two other things to note in the photo above: first, if you look closely, you can see the stub of the pitot tube after I broke it off for the second time; and secondly, also looking closely, you can see that the blue nav light behind the national marking is actually raised. I'm not sure if I used the wrong part or why exactly it's like this, but it sits noticeably proud of its recess. I'll probably have to sand or cut it back, as it's pretty noticeable on the upper surface.

Thanks as always for looking!

Kev