Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Kev, 

Check out http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50722 for help in parts alignment. Pascal nailed this engine and I'd use it as a "example" of where the parts should fit any day of the week.  The small object at the front of the gearbox is the prop governor, and it mounts to the small "square shaped pad" cast on the gearbox. The bigger "box" is the magneto and goes between the new distributer covers you bought and is set behind the smaller part and towards the back of the gearbox, with the back edge of the part just about to the cylinders.  

This may help a bit too.

http://www.connecticutscorsair.com/pages/r-2800_overhaul_manual_illustrations.htm

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I know where the parts go, but am confused about why I seem to have a ring-in part, and that the prop governor and magneto don't fit together on the Quickboost engine. And the Quickboost instructions don't really help with the orientation of the prop governor - it's longer in one direction, not square. So I'm not sure if the long side goes front-to-rear, or side-to-side; if the former, then the magneto won't fit behind it, yet the latter orientation appears to be incorrect, from what I can gather. In fact, the parts Pascal used look different again from the ones I have here - the prop governor is square rather than rectangular, and the magneto seems boxier too. Kudos to him for a magnificent engine, however!

Kev

Actually, here's a question: does the magneto part fit to the engine from the lower part in the photo (with the cocktail stick attached), or the top part? Photos suggest the lower part, but if I do it the other way around, the two parts fit together better. However, there's no detail at all on that lower section, which would then be exposed (although probably hardly visible for practical purposes).

Kev

This is from my Quickboost set. The details on the sides seem different than yours. The magneto on the far right is right side up, the square pad on the bottom matches up to the corresponding square on the gear case.

38038361954_42c28801a1_c.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the orientation of the prop governor on the front, it doesn't look like any of the photos I have seen. The magneto should be mounted lengthwise front to back.

38038353704_d4eec06bf1_c.jpg

24881825338_47b83128cb_c.jpg

Strange it's so hard to find a photo of an engine with the prop gov installed. An assembly line pic I have shows it with the disc Paul mentioned mounted to the front, I'd guess approximately 2" in diameter... but it won't make or break your engine.

I hope this helps.

Allan

24881835318_acfc3455c5_c.jpg

Edited by monkeysee

Thanks, fellas. I've seen those photos before, but most of the real magnetos don't resemble the part I have, which is definitely different to what should be in the Quickboost set, and I have no idea of its provenance. Incidentally, I just took a look at the Quickboost engine I bought for the P-47 (32 038), and it looks identical to this one (32 036). A bit of creative marketing, perhaps?

In any case, I think I can see away forward now, accurate or not, so it's onward toward the finish line from here.

Kev

OK fellas, I pushed through and completed the engine today:

a8D9S2.jpg

Not the best photo, unfortunately. Since it's going to be enclosed in the cowling, I didn't go overboard with the wiring, or painting and detailing areas that won't really be seen. I didn't have a P&W logo decal, so I tried my hand at painting one. It's just 2 blue blobs and a brown blob, but I think it suggests the real thing convincingly enough. Here's another angle:

K1WAYX.jpg

The data plate on the gearbox housing is from one of airscale's generic cockpit placard sets - again, used more for effect than accuracy.

Anyway, next stop: installation!

Kev

OK fellas, I pushed through and completed the engine today:

a8D9S2.jpg

Not the best photo, unfortunately. Since it's going to be enclosed in the cowling, I didn't go overboard with the wiring, or painting and detailing areas that won't really be seen. I didn't have a P&W logo decal, so I tried my hand at painting one. It's just 2 blue blobs and a brown blob, but I think it suggests the real thing convincingly enough. Here's another angle:

K1WAYX.jpg

The data plate on the gearbox housing is from one of airscale's generic cockpit placard sets - again, used more for effect than accuracy.

Anyway, next stop: installation!

Kev

This engine is absolutely perfect! Congratulations!

Paulo.