1/32 recovered B-17 - UPDATE 12/10/13 - FINISHED - YAY!

richdlc

I just spent most of yesterday and all of this morning reading this thread.

What an incredible build!

Not to mention what an incredible source of info for any kind of B-17 build. Beautiful work indeed!

Thanks for sharing the build!

Historical tech question:

What's the story behind the half painted/half natural metal fuselage scheme?

I noticed that the upper back half of the fuselage has faded O.D. paint.

Again, a beautiful build you've done with the B-17 B) !

Thanks!

Historical tech question:

What's the story behind the half painted/half natural metal fuselage scheme?

I noticed that the upper back half of the fuselage has faded O.D. paint.

Again, a beautiful build you've done with the B-17 B) !

Thanks!

Hi - they would often salvage whatever parts they needed from new aircraft to repair old ones, be it a wing or an entire fuselage. Towards the end of the War, entire squadrons of brand new aircraft lay unused, so they just stripped them out or let them rot..

Hi there....fantastic work so far..... love the pinup nose art... stunning work....

how do you did the turrets broken glasses?

shep

Hi - cut up the vac kit's 'clear' turret, removed the glass areas then added broken glass once the turret frame was detailed & painted

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback guys

Mind =Blown!

I cant even think of how awe inspiring this build is - what kind of juju are you meddling in!??

In all seriousness though, this has to be the best WIP thread i've had the pleasure of reading (and going by the standards on here that took some doing!)

Cant wait to see the whole finished thing!

Nick

I've just finished going over the entire thread the last few days. It's mindblowing! The level of detail you put in is just amazing and it really shows how terrifying it must have been flying those bombing raids over Germany.

Can't wait until the diorama is finished.

Regards,

Ian

Rich- I haven't looked in here for a while, but I can honestly say that is the finest example of a model aircraft I have EVER seen. It doesn't just LOOK real, it seems real. If I saw those photos in another context with a background, I would swear it WAS real. Epic build, just EPIC.

• 1 month later...

*update 12/10/13*

Hi everyone - well, I think I have reached the stage where I can call this - FINISHED!!!

I could keep going and going adding little details but I think I can stop now :rolleyes:

Here are the final elements that I added.

I added extra detail to a Vector R1830 engine, and built the mount / firewall / cowling flap actuators etc.  It's by no means 100% accurate, but it fills a nice gap in a corner of the diorama.  I also cut up and detailed one of the HK Kit's cowlings.  I presented the whole thing on a simple tarpaulin made from pewter sheet (versatile stuff!) with an etched brass tool kit and wrenches and made some random pipes and wires to strew around the place:

IMG_6449_zps34a372af.jpg

IMG_6450_zps4400e1f9.jpg

IMG_6451_zps59216e19.jpg

IMG_6701_zps898586b7.jpg

IMG_6700_zpscf25a08e.jpg

IMG_6706_zps3236babf.jpg

IMG_6699_zps7d8a19e7.jpg

IMG_6717_zpsac91f8b7.jpg

IMG_6718_zps90587c77.jpg

After these were attached it was simply a case of adding finishing touches to the diorama.

The aircraft was chained to the trailer using 3mm pre-weathered chain from a model boat supplier, and the shackles/strainers I made earlier.  All figures, vehicles and accessories were pinned to the base.  I reasoned that the guy atop the fuselage would need a ladder to get up there, which I made from half-round rod and some plastic strip.

So that's it really!  I'll leave you with some photos.  I will create a thread in the ready for inspection sub-forum in due time.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me with this build, I had a lot of fun doing it.

Rich