1/32 Spey Phantom conversion

Derek B

OK Guys, all of this current Phantom activity will most likely have someone posing the obvious questions about British Spey Phantom conversions?

I was about to start on one nearly two years ago (the planning was fairly advanced), but I put a halt to it as I was advised that an injection kit was due soon. Well, I have heard nothing at all of late (unless someone else knows differently?). So, should I dust off the plans and re-visit this conversion? (I will also look at the Tornado GR.4 as well - mainly decause I want to make one with lots of resin AM update stuff and I want a RAPTOR pod on it!^_^ ).

Cheers

Derek

Yes to the power of 10!

Seems like the previous conversion needs a mortgage to buy it (if you can find one)

I'm sure it would be a winner Derek.

All those nice Navy schemes!!!!!!

Phil :party0023:

even if you can just help with the mouldings of afterburners and their inner parts, the rest is acheivable with cuts and judicious use of milliput-n'est-ce-pas? or at least thats the bits i cant do, but I'd still be interested in a lovely new conv set, so count me in for at lest two if the price can be kept under hysteria level

OK Guys, all of this current Phantom activity will most likely have someone posing the obvious questions about British Spey Phantom conversions?

I was about to start on one nearly two years ago (the planning was fairly advanced), but I put a halt to it as I was advised that an injection kit was due soon. Well, I have heard nothing at all of late (unless someone else knows differently?). So, should I dust off the plans and re-visit this conversion? (I will also look at the Tornado GR.4 as well - mainly decause I want to make one with lots of resin AM update stuff and I want a RAPTOR pod on it!^_^ ).

Cheers

Derek

You know what I think.

Barry

Dr. Frank Mitchell of ATL made a British Phantom and it was used as the basis for the Cutting Edge conversion. Unfortunately they produced a limited quanity and then went out of business. So if you want one you pay thru the nose or do it yourself. If you can find Dr. Frank I'm sure that he would give you some guidance on this type of project.

As far as an injection molded kit goes there are several missing in the big scale arena. If somebody did a F-4B the sales would probably be thru the roof as there are so many different squadrons with so many different paint schemes that it would keep Phantom Phreaks busy for years. I would buy at least 5 for some of my favorite schemes and probably end up buying another 3 to 5 more when the next wave of stickers becomes available. From the B one can make a N model easily but somebody needs to do a S too. Tamiya really missed the boat in my opinion and I'm surprised that Trumpeter hasn't done a Phantom line yet.

Derek

That would do me fine, and take the pressure off me, with all the guys asking me for the conversion, so if you do it then that will help all of us and give the lads the conversion that they want.

All the best with the conversion.

cheers Ali

Derek

That would do me fine, and take the pressure off me, with all the guys asking me for the conversion, so if you do it then that will help all of us and give the lads the conversion that they want.

All the best with the conversion.

cheers Ali

Thanks Ali - I shall look at it again then.

Cheers

Derek

Dr. Frank Mitchell of ATL made a British Phantom and it was used as the basis for the Cutting Edge conversion. Unfortunately they produced a limited quanity and then went out of business. So if you want one you pay thru the nose or do it yourself. If you can find Dr. Frank I'm sure that he would give you some guidance on this type of project.

As far as an injection molded kit goes there are several missing in the big scale arena. If somebody did a F-4B the sales would probably be thru the roof as there are so many different squadrons with so many different paint schemes that it would keep Phantom Phreaks busy for years. I would buy at least 5 for some of my favorite schemes and probably end up buying another 3 to 5 more when the next wave of stickers becomes available. From the B one can make a N model easily but somebody needs to do a S too. Tamiya really missed the boat in my opinion and I'm surprised that Trumpeter hasn't done a Phantom line yet.

Hi Joe (and Rob C),

Frank makes a superb job of his kit conversions, and to alter the Tamiya kit to a British Phantom as a pure one-off kit conversion, then I do not believe that it can really be bettered. However, when you talk about a commercial conversion kit, then that is a different kettle of fish altogether. As always, this thing will have to be a balance between what modellers want and cost to produce/retail it - so I shall have to make some pretty serious decisions and stick to them (there will be no room for turning back once committed).

I am still getting my head around Phantoms, so I am intrigued by the F-4B that you mentioned - please feel free to educate me in the ways of this aircraft, as I know very little about it, so I need to understand a little more what the differences are? (I see the Spey Phantom as a pretty major conversion, but if the F-4B is less so, then there is a possibility that I may have a go at this one sooner?).

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B