1/32 Spey Phantom conversion

Derek B

Well, it sounds like you guys still want one, so I shall have a look at it again over the course of the year and see if I can actually do it in a manner that is affordable to both you and I :)

Cheers

Derek

Derek go one step further with the Tonka and do an F3 plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz also word is Revell are re-releasing the GR1 later this year.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I know someone who is about 2/3 of the way through mastering a Tornado F.3 conversion, so I think that I shall neatly side step that one. Good news about the re-release of the GR.1 kit - I shall have to get my hands on one of those then!

Regards

Derek

For sure!!

Ahhhhhhem...........just make sure the T .10 conversion we discussed comes out first (or a VERY Close second :lol: )

Brian

Hi Brian,

I currently need two things for the T.10 conversion...The first is a kit (which I shall try and get sometime this year if the opportunity arrives - I failed to get one from any source last year), and secondly, good reference materials to work from (there seems to be less available than for the Tornado, and that is nearly non-existant!).

Cheers

Derek

Derek,

I find the idea of an F-4B/N conversion intriguing. I also think it would be a good seller, particularly on the US market. And looking at the prices the old Cutting Edge conversions bring, I have to think there is quite a market for the Rolls Royce Spey conversion too. So I say go for it. However, I say "go for it", only if it will not be at the expense of producing the P-40 exhausts, props and treaded tires and the Wingscale P-61! Sounds like a full plate!

Bill M.

I will jump into this discussion just to give my support to Derek for the FGR burner cans. A nice set of these could make a huge difference in the time and effort to complete a model of this bird.

I have gotten a number of requests for the conversion zip files, (and know of at least a couple that are underway), and all of those plus who knows how many more could use those cans. They are definetly the thing that slows me down when I think of doing "just one more".

Maybe I could add to my collection. After all, I only have five built Phantoms already, I certainly neeed need more---

Frank

Derek - count me in for a FRG1/2 - as a CE customer who paid for and never received his set :BANGHEAD2: .. I have a long standing need to build one of each .. please be assured that there will be a market for this conversion

In fact anything for the Tamiya F-4 would be welcome ... please ....

I will jump into this discussion just to give my support to Derek for the FGR burner cans. A nice set of these could make a huge difference in the time and effort to complete a model of this bird.

I have gotten a number of requests for the conversion zip files, (and know of at least a couple that are underway), and all of those plus who knows how many more could use those cans. They are definetly the thing that slows me down when I think of doing "just one more".

Maybe I could add to my collection. After all, I only have five built Phantoms already, I certainly neeed need more---

Frank

Hello Frank,

I agree with you - The Spey (both ends) are the very heart of this conversion, and the most difficult part to make. This will not be a 'quick' master pattern to make by any stretch of the imagination, so I thank you for your support and assistance in the engine department. I need to get my head around how best to tackle this conversion.

Best regards

Derek

Derek,

I find the idea of an F-4B/N conversion intriguing. I also think it would be a good seller, particularly on the US market. And looking at the prices the old Cutting Edge conversions bring, I have to think there is quite a market for the Rolls Royce Spey conversion too. So I say go for it. However, I say "go for it", only if it will not be at the expense of producing the P-40 exhausts, props and treaded tires and the Wingscale P-61! Sounds like a full plate!

Bill M.

It sounds like I should maybe look at what is needed for a F-4B/N/S conversions and start on these ahead of the Spey Phantom conversion, as I can produce them much more quickly? The F-4K/M will take careful planning, so I need to make sure that I have it absolutely right before I start to make anything, as there really is very little room for me to turn back if I get anything wrong.

Don't worry about the P-40 bits - they are being produced as we speak, and I have a stack of reference material for Wingscale for the P-61, so all is well :)

Cheers

Derek

Good to hear about the P-40 parts-- I have some planned builds waiting for these parts. Can't wait.

As for an F-4B conversion, I think it would be much easier to do than the Rolls Royce Spey conversion. However, both are certainly needed and both would find a ready market. With the caveat that I am certainly not a Phantom authority, I believe the major changes for an F-4B/N conversion would be thinner wheels and tires, wings without the "bump" over the wheel wells, new burner cans, I/R sensor on the nose and maybe different stabilators-- though I am not sure about this last one. Others more knowledgable should chime in with their thoughts on this.

One thing that would make the F-4B attractive is the fact that it carried some of the more spectacular and historic paint schemes. There might be an opportunity for Eli of Zots as well-- that is if you end up doing the F-4B.

Bill M.

Good to hear about the P-40 parts-- I have some planned builds waiting for these parts. Can't wait.

As for an F-4B conversion, I think it would be much easier to do than the Rolls Royce Spey conversion. However, both are certainly needed and both would find a ready market. With the caveat that I am certainly not a Phantom authority, I believe the major changes for an F-4B/N conversion would be thinner wheels and tires, wings without the "bump" over the wheel wells, new burner cans, I/R sensor on the nose and maybe different stabilators-- though I am not sure about this last one. Others more knowledgable should chime in with their thoughts on this.

One thing that would make the F-4B attractive is the fact that it carried some of the more spectacular and historic paint schemes. There might be an opportunity for Eli of Zots as well-- that is if you end up doing the F-4B.

Bill M.

Thanks for that Bill...It sounds like I should really look at a F-4B/N conversion, as I can produce this much more quickly than the Spey Phantom conversion (It would certainly open the door for decal and scheme options, as you have stated). What do the rest of you Phantom Phans think?

Derek

Derek,

Dude if you do these conversion for F-4 you will answer the long awaiting prayers for many of us. I know I'll be in for a set of each. I missed out on CE resin set and I don't think I'm ready to sell a kidney just yet for a resin set...lol Anyway, all the power to you bro and as you can see we're all behind you :thumbsup:

Mike

Hi Derek,

If you start from a J, making a B is not easy for the following reasons:

- different upper wings (no bulge)

- different lower wings (ditto)

- different airbrakes (flat AND with a different structure: the CE airbrakes are wrong!)

- thinner wheel tires

- flat MLG doors

- thinner MLG legs (forgotten by CE but this is not really noticeable)

- earlier J79 exhausts (C/D shorter type ones)

- different types of fin cap

- different types of nose chin sensors

- unslotted stabs on the early blocks

- very different RIO station(s) according to the block (pre/post-Shoehorn) (forgotten by CE...)

If you start from a C/D, you don't need the exhausts and already have unslotted stabs but you need adding all the Navy features included in the J...

and this does not even address some noticeable errors or shortcomings of the Tamiya kit...

Regarding the British airframes, I think that there are two options:

- a basic set covering the most obvious specificities (such as the Spey exhausts, longer NLG leg, different fin tip, etc.)

- a comprehensive one (similar to the CE set). However, this will be difficult to produce (a new fuselage, a new belly,...), very expensive and risky. Indeed, my little finger told me our Chinese friends know the potential of the missing links such as the F-4B, F-4G, F-4S and F-4K/M... And the Tomcat release confirmed they dare releasing large jet kits already released by others!

What I'd do: I'd ask people if they prefer a small set with conversion guidelines for 50 USD or a comprehensive one for at least 250 USD. I'd initially release the small set to cover the investment and would possibly release the comprehensive one if pre-order are sufficiently significant.

Regards.

Hi Derek,

If you start from a J, making a B is not easy for the following reasons:

- different upper wings (no bulge)

- different lower wings (ditto)

- different airbrakes (flat AND with a different structure: the CE airbrakes are wrong!)

- thinner wheel tires

- flat MLG doors

- thinner MLG legs (forgotten by CE but this is not really noticeable)

- earlier J79 exhausts (C/D shorter type ones)

- different types of fin cap

- different types of nose chin sensors

- unslotted stabs on the early blocks

- very different RIO station(s) according to the block (pre/post-Shoehorn) (forgotten by CE...)

If you start from a C/D, you don't need the exhausts and already have unslotted stabs but you need adding all the Navy features included in the J...

and this does not even address some noticeable errors or shortcomings of the Tamiya kit...

Regarding the British airframes, I think that there are two options:

- a basic set covering the most obvious specificities (such as the Spey exhausts, longer NLG leg, different fin tip, etc.)

- a comprehensive one (similar to the CE set). However, this will be difficult to produce (a new fuselage, a new belly,...), very expensive and risky. Indeed, my little finger told me our Chinese friends know the potential of the missing links such as the F-4B, F-4G, F-4S and F-4K/M... And the Tomcat release confirmed they dare releasing large jet kits already released by others!

What I'd do: I'd ask people if they prefer a small set with conversion guidelines for 50 USD or a comprehensive one for at least 250 USD. I'd initially release the small set to cover the investment and would possibly release the comprehensive one if pre-order are sufficiently significant.

Regards.

Thanks Thierry. I agree with the low risk/cost options. I think That I shall leave it up to the Phantom modellers out there to tell me what they want most for thier kits that will not (in all likelyhood) be produced by one of the large Asian injection moulded concerns in the near future?

Thanks

Derek