Roy Cross Tribute Build: Airfix Heracles

I've been thinking a lot about the impact that Airfix's box art had on me as a nascent modeller in my youth, and even continues to have today - not just through nostalgia, which is real enough, but also because Roy's artwork still holds up today, and still evokes all the same feelings that it did all those years ago. And with the hobby being such an important part of my life for more than 50 years now, to the extent that even when I had long stretches away from the hobby, I still considered myself a modeller, Roy's passing feels rather more significant on a personal level than it otherwise might, even though he was, for all intents and purposes, a complete stranger.

To that end, I've decided to do a tribute build, featuring the only Airfix kit I have that features Roy's box art: the venerable Handley Page H.P 42 Heracles in 1/144 scale.

2t2ngv.jpg

I haven't started any work on the kit yet, but hope to shortly. I'd also like to make this a relatively quick build, so hopefully I won't get too bogged down trying to fix or improve the kit.

Stay tuned!

Kev

21 minutes ago, Phantom2 said:

You are in for a treat!

Old as this kit are (1964), It´s a beauty, lacking some in detail, but goes together really well.

Stefan :beer:

I'd love a kit of this subject in 1/72 scale!

Kev

Making some progress with this one, though sadly at the expense of my other builds! Nevertheless, progress is progress.

For some reason, my kit came with three fuselage halves:

gvKyDp.jpg

I've been using the spare to test some solutions for the window openings. My tests with clear UV-curing glue gel weren't really successful, for three main reasons: firstly, the gel itself is ever-so-slightly cloudy when applied in greater than wafer-thin layers; secondly, the tape I used on the outside to act as a dam caused a slight dulling effect on the surface, further reducing the clarity; and thirdly, due to the raised rims around the window openings, I couldn't stop tiny amounts of gel from leaking out.

Perhaps with a more suitable clear gel I'd have better results, but after conferring with a fellow modeller who has recently built this kit, I decided to use the kit windows, which fit pretty well. Being rather thick, however, means that they have sink marks on both sides, so I started by filing them away with a coarse sanding stick:

uvvfhw.jpg

They're not 100% gone, but much improved. Next steps will involve restoring the clarity.

On the assembly front, the wings and tailplanes went together without a single problem:

qu3W3x.jpg

In fact, the overall fit is surprisingly good for a kit that's a year older than I am:

mD1BmH.jpg

Conferring again with my modeller friend, he convinced me to reduce the prominent ribbing on the wings, as it's all-but invisible on the real thing, and could probably be removed altogether:

4L3GNX.jpg

I'll see how that looks under some primer, before deciding if I should take it further.

More soon!

Kev

oh my dear.....what are you in for Kev. damn small, 144, are you nuts? i felt 1:72 is small lol

but hey, i love crazinez, so keep em comin as i will be folowing this different model commin alive.

/Mal

Thanks, fellas. I've got some Microscale Kristal Kleer, but generally don't like using it. I did see another modeller use something similar on his build, but I'm not a fan of the stuff personally. I might use it on the smaller door windows, however.

Kev

Why not treat it like your 1/144 airliner builds and paint them out in black or dark grey?

I've pulled out my Revell 747 Ed Force One kit. I think I am going to start that tonight, you've inspired me. 

10 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I've pulled out my Revell 747 Ed Force One kit. I think I am going to start that tonight, you've inspired me. 

I nearly pulled that one out myself in order to continue the series, but got sidetracked with the 777.

Kev

One Man Model sells a 1/72 and 1/48 version of the HP 42 on ebay. They are 3D printed (filament) and much better than the vac form, at least in the wing attachment to the fuselage, but there are a lot of printing lines to smooth out/sand. I have the 1/72 scale version, but the engine exhaust pipes to the collector in front are not as nice as I'd like. Maybe I need to figure out how to 3D print them.

I am considering designing a photo etch set to add some of the details, but it is still in the paper drawing stage. Arctic Decals sells a decal set for the 1/72 kit and it is truly amazing. Not just the wing codes, Inperial Airways logos and aircraft names, but you get wood detail for the cabin walls, plus two versions of the "Jacobean" fabric seat coverings. Something for the truly obsessed, but it looks beautiful.

I had this Airfix kit before I decided to work on the larger one, and remember there was an aftermarket set of decals for it as well in 1/144. Good luck with this one, it is just an amazing plane. So "ugly", it is beautiful, almost Steampunk in appearance.

Tnarg

4 hours ago, Tnarg said:

One Man Model sells a 1/72 and 1/48 version of the HP 42 on ebay. They are 3D printed (filament) and much better than the vac form, at least in the wing attachment to the fuselage, but there are a lot of printing lines to smooth out/sand. I have the 1/72 scale version, but the engine exhaust pipes to the collector in front are not as nice as I'd like. Maybe I need to figure out how to 3D print them.

I am considering designing a photo etch set to add some of the details, but it is still in the paper drawing stage. Arctic Decals sells a decal set for the 1/72 kit and it is truly amazing. Not just the wing codes, Inperial Airways logos and aircraft names, but you get wood detail for the cabin walls, plus two versions of the "Jacobean" fabric seat coverings. Something for the truly obsessed, but it looks beautiful.

I had this Airfix kit before I decided to work on the larger one, and remember there was an aftermarket set of decals for it as well in 1/144. Good luck with this one, it is just an amazing plane. So "ugly", it is beautiful, almost Steampunk in appearance.

Tnarg

I'd forgotten about the One Man Model kit, which I might investigate. I have his Electra kit, so I certainly know what to expect! In fact, I know he has improved his printing quality since then, and now includes many resin-printed parts in his kits. For this Airfix kit, about the only thing I want for is some canopy masks, since I can't even see any frames on the kit part to apply my own. I know there are some about, but none available to me locally right now.

Kev