Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest II

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Appreciate you checking in!

Canopy parts have been dipped in Future.
IMG-5854.jpg

Wings are glued onto the fuselage.  Fit is pretty good except for the rear bottom joint, which will need attention.
IMG-5855.jpg

But the fit along the wing roots is good.
IMG-5856.jpg

IMG-5857.jpg

The kit rockets upgraded with PE clips and resin fins from the Eduard set.
IMG-5858.jpg

IMG-5859.jpg

The prop blades and spinner have been painted.  Very light hairspray chipping along the leading edges and some salt weathering on the blade surfaces.
IMG-5860.jpg

IMG-5861.jpg

Great job getting the rocket rails all sorted and mounted. I'm sure that was a bit of a headache.

How do you always get your canopies to look so good after Future? I almost always have mistakes or problems when I dip canopies in it.

Matt 

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great job getting the rocket rails all sorted and mounted. I'm sure that was a bit of a headache.

How do you always get your canopies to look so good after Future? I almost always have mistakes or problems when I dip canopies in it.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  Rockets sorted and now being painted and decaled.

Future does a great job of filling in micro-scratches and giving the canopies a nice clear shine.  The key is to make sure there are no bubbles or tiny specks of dust remaining on the canopy after dipping and re-dip if necessary.  I try to remove as much excess Future after dipping by canting the canopy so that the liquid gathers to a low corner and then using a dry paper towel to wick off excess.  The dipped parts are then set on a piece of paper towel to further wick and dry.  I place a cover over it so that no dust settles on the wet parts.

Another nice thing about Future is that it can be fully removed with Windex or similar ammonia cleaner.  Don't be afraid to wipe an unsatsfactory dip job clean and start again.

11 hours ago, zaxos345 said:

Really great work there John!!!! 

John

Thanks John!  Appreciate the comment!

7 hours ago, Jaro said:

Great spinner & prop blades - they look so good!

And - not sure from this perspective - but are there some sink marks on rockets (warheads)?

Thank you!  No sink marks... just a half-moon depression on the warhead and discoloration from the sanded down sprue gate.

The rear bottom joint has been filled and puttied. Rivets and panel lines have been restored.
IMG-5862.jpg

IMG-5863.jpg

A coat of primer (Mr Primer Surfacer 1000) has been applied to check the joint.  There is a joint along the starboard fillet that has cracked due to insufficient glue.
IMG-5864.jpg

In order to fix this joint without re-cracking, I have to do a little bit more than just apply putty.  So I've gouged a small trench along the joint using my scribing tool.
IMG-5865.jpg

The trench is filled with black CA glue.
IMG-5866.jpg

After some more fine sanding, another coat of primer to check the area.
IMG-5867.jpg

IMG-5868.jpg

Those rockets!!  Very impressive.  And so small.  John - where do you get your Future?  I still have some, but it's a little tired.  I cannot find any more.   

On 5/13/2024 at 7:05 AM, JayW said:

Those rockets!!  Very impressive.  And so small.  John - where do you get your Future?  I still have some, but it's a little tired.  I cannot find any more.   

Thanks Jay!  Yeah, really small!  Itching to get back to my normal 1/32 LSP's after this!  I am nursing an old bottle of Future that I got about a decade ago. I recycle the stuff for canopy dipping by keeping a small amount in a separate container.  Trying to make it last as long as possible.  I have no idea if Future is still available in the US anymore.

The brass flap inserts have been glued into place using extra thin CA glue.
IMG-5872.jpg

A preliminary view of what the flaps will look like once they are installed.
IMG-5874.jpg

The flap insert area is given a primer coat and all of the orifices have been masked with either wet tissue or tape.
IMG-5876.jpg

IMG-5877.jpg

I've decided to give the model an overall light primer coat to make sure I have a stable base for the metal finish to come.  I'm using Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner.
IMG-5878.jpg

IMG-5879.jpg

IMG-5880.jpg

After the primer, the base metal shade is sprayed.  I am using AK Extreme Metal White Aluminum.  Very similar to Alclad.
IMG-5882.jpg

IMG-5883.jpg

IMG-5884.jpg

IMG-5885.jpg

Posted (edited)

Impressive John!! 

Leave the ak extreme to cure some days if you are going to mask over it!! I had some bad experience with the glue from the masking tape reacting with the ak's solvent, when I tried to mask over it after one day!!! I could not wipe off the residue!!

Play on the safe side!!! 

John

Edited by zaxos345

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, zaxos345 said:

Impressive John!! 

Leave the ak extreme to cure some days if you are going to mask over it!! I had some bad experience with the glue from the masking tape reacting with the ak's solvent, when I tried to mask over it after one day!!! I could not wipe off the residue!!

Play on the safe side!!! 

John

Ack!  Too late! :D

The painting continues.  In the process of masking off panels to paint in a different metallic shade, I found that the adhesive from the Post-Its I was using reacted with the AK Extreme Metal White Aluminum in certain areas like Zaxos345 experienced.  So I sprayed on a layer of clear gloss (Tamiya LP-9) and them buffed the affected areas with Micromesh. Luckily the effects weren't that bad and restricted to the outer wings.

IMG-5893.jpg

IMG-5894.jpg

IMG-5895.jpg

IMG-5896.jpg

Instead of using the flat PE representations, I scratched up the rocket "pigtails" using copper wire and bits of plastic.  These will be attached to the rear opening of the rockets.
IMG-5891.jpg

Edited by Thunnus