Bf110F/G in the future?

BJW

They are not alone, unfortunately! What about Meng after the release of the Me 163? Most Chinese companies including Trumpeter seem to take distance from large scale planes.

Isn't Kitty Hawk a Chinese company? And HK Models? And Kinetic?

Meng, like Dragon, started out as primarily an armor kit making company. I'd say their forays into aircraft have mostly just been dabbling and they seem to be staying closer to their core stuff. They don't seem to be as interested in being multiple subject companies like Revell or Tamiya.

Even so, 1/32 aircraft is probably less profitable than smaller scales, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. That said, I think we're blessed with the sheer volume of good 1/32 aircraft we've had released in the last 10-20 years. Back in the 70s and 80s, your 1/32 and 1/35 aircraft choices were a handful of old (even then) Revell, Monogram, and Hasegawa kits.

Edited by Dave Williams

Mr. AdamR, Please do not distract. We have a P-38 kit. It has a few warts and could be the wrong varient for some folks. But the industry has some catching up to do around the '110G.

Rick

Please do not presume to scold me. My comment was intended as a joking aside. Any time you think my comments are disruptive, take your complaint to the mod's and I will abide by whatever they have to say about the matter.

Well HK is specialized in large scale planes, so their case is a little bit different, at least to me. Kinetic did not release any new mold since the Hawk, years ago. And Kitty hawk significantly slowed down the large scale releases to put more focus on 1/48th kits. Except the Trumpeter MiG-29, I did not get one new Chinese large scale kit in 2017. New kits come from Revell, Italeri, Special Hobby, Mikro Mir, ICM or Wingnuts! It is obvious the current drive is now in Europe. I know the two last decades blessed us but this does not change the current situation.

I don't think Dragon is going to go that route at this stage, as many years have passed since their last 110 was released.

Same feeling I get. Similar to the feeling I get about the G-Factor OV-10 gear.     Should happen.................but probably wont. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Please do not presume to scold me. My comment was intended as a joking aside. Any time you think my comments are disruptive, take your complaint to the mod's and I will abide by whatever they have to say about the matter.

I apologize. My comment was also an attempt at humor about distracting and defocus of the manufacturer. I did not and do not have a complaint. Maybe we need more emoji to ensure meaning. I will try harder next time.

Rick

I'm kinda hoping that Dragon wakes up and produces the "G" series. HK would be fine but I'm sure it would be another $175-200 dollar kit. Dragon already has the molds, as was said they would only need a few sprues to be made.

Come on Dragon wake up!!! :thumbsup:

Dan 

Unfortunately (and I do say that with all sincerity) it's not quite that simple ... Although in some cases (as with their currently issued Bf.109E and Bf.110C-E series) it is.

And where it IS that simple ... Dragon seems to go overboard!!

Dragons marketing technique seems to involve using very small iterations to existing moulds to produce different variants ...

Just have a look at what has been released throughout their armour range to date ... I've lost count of how many variations they've released to their Pz.III and IV chassis aside (forgetting the other WWII german and allied armour).

It's really quite staggering! - Just have a decko at my stash ... and I haven't got them all.

The differences in the Bf.110 from the E to the F are quite substantial ... and the jump from the F to the G has quite a few more again ...

I found this out during the research phase on the proposed conversion set that was being worked on a few years back.

Every time the individual got around to looking over the plans/photos/existing DML kit, he'd find out something new.

Dragon also tend to do things "The whole hog" which means DB.605 engines as well as nacelles ... even though most of us would probably be content with a closed up situation.

Indeed, that's what the proposed conversion would have been aiming for ... for those with the inclination, Eduard produces a lovely DB.605 in it's Brassin line up!

It would have cost Dragon quite a bit of outlay in R&D before they got to kit stage.

Pricing ...

I remember when HKM's first kit hit the market ... The Mitchell bomber retailed for about $160 AUD (Back when the AUD was almost on par with the USD)

You could get the kit for a lot less in the USA, but the size of the box meant that shipping took it past the $160 AUD mark ...

It was one of those rare cases (back then) where it was cheaper to buy the kit ex east here - where nationwide shipping was free.

The DML 110's were selling for about $130 AUD at the same time ... Indeed, NOW they're available for anywhere between $100 and $260 AUD depending on the variant you're after.

HKM's pricing has followed inflation ... I dare say cost driven, rather than demand driven.

Although speculative, I definitely think that if Dragon were to produce a Bf.110F/G ... now ... the retail would be somewhere in the $175-$250 AUD area.

And I'd consider myself fortunate if I could score one for under $200 AUD

Given todays pricing across the board for an LSP detailed twin (sans Revell) $200 - $300 is a pretty fair expectation.

Rog :)

I do wonder about the marketing policy/ strategy at some of the kit manufacturers. In the case of the 110, would it not have been a better idea to release the most successful/ popular 'G' variant first, recoup the investment, make a profit and then release the lesser more obscure versions? Someone mentioned the HPH 410, which is a beautiful kit, but would they not have sold more if they had started with the version with the big cannon on it?

I do wonder about the marketing policy/ strategy at some of the kit manufacturers. In the case of the 110, would it not have been a better idea to release the most successful/ popular 'G' variant first, recoup the investment, make a profit and then release the lesser more obscure versions? Someone mentioned the HPH 410, which is a beautiful kit, but would they not have sold more if they had started with the version with the big cannon on it?

I more think of it as being similar to the Tamiya strategy of releasing variants:

Release the least popular version first, with a hint at releasing the most popular version in the future, then get all those who normally might not buy that lesser wanted variant to buy it, because they really want that plane, and the most wanted version is not out yet. 

I would think you would sell more kits that way than the reverse, as most would never buy that lesser wanted/known variant if the version they wanted has already come out, no need to buy anything other.

Conversely, if the lesser version is out first, you may collect some sales of that version that may not have happened otherwise. 

It is like Revell did it on the Ju 88 and the He 111. I guess the Ju 88 A-4 is more popular among modellers than the A-1, like the He 111 H-6 is more popular than the P-1. So they released the less popular versions first, hoping that the more popular versions released later would sell anyway.