1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Have you not looked at the Vendors Board here on LSP??

And for the record, *nobody* else has gone to the lengths of research we've gone to.  The instruction manual for this decal is 48 pages long :)

Never looked there.   I’m still a newbie around here.  

Bummer on needing to source those large drop tanks from another kit.   Maybe someone will offer them up in resin.  Good research at your end either way....

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Bummer on needing to source those large drop tanks from another kit.   Maybe someone will offer them up in resin.  Good research at your end either way....

I'd ask in the Traders Board, you might well get lucky, the drop tank was also included in this kit.

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Okaaaay.....   I’m intrigued. Anyone got the backstory on this one???

The aircraft was mount of Friedrich-Karl “Nasen” Müller while assigned to Nachtjagdgeschwader 11.  Machine was employed as a 'Wild Boar' night fighter and Mosquito hunter.

The machine was allegedly equipped with a P-38 Lightning drop tank and oblique firing weapons (Schrage Musik).  I believe Müller dispelled the notion of the oblique weapons in an interview, but stated that the the aircraft was equipped with a 30 mm cannon.   

Edited by RBrown

1 hour ago, mhorina said:

I believe the large P-38 tanks are included in the Hasegawa P-47 kits and the Trumpeter Razorback P-47 kit also has them and may be in the other Trump 47s also.

Mike Horina

I just checked my Trumpeter Razorback P-47 and Hasegawa P-47D and both kits have the large 150 drop tanks, how accurate they are I cant testify to though. But glad I have them as a starting point at least. Thanks for mentioning them and those kits as I'd never have thought to look in those boxes and I've already started a looking for thread in the buy and sell forums. D'oh!

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s a good possibility we’ll see some dedicated Lockheed Mk.6 tanks coming from the aftermarket.  The ones in the HB P-61 lack all detail, including filler caps.

Hopefully yes, but happy to know I at least have a few back ups in place for now. With the imminent release of the decals the Corsair is nearing the top of my next victim pile.

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s a good possibility we’ll see some dedicated Lockheed Mk.6 tanks coming from the aftermarket.  The ones in the HB P-61 lack all detail, including filler caps.

Excellent.....

Jennings, on another front - you mentioned that you've got another F4U sheet in the works.   Any timeline for when you might have the initial art for those subjects released, as you did for the upcoming sheet?

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Just got tracking information on the decals, so they’ll be here in time for the show!

Will the instructions be posted sooner or at the same time?  Good luck on the decals, hope they sell well.   

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Depends when our web guy gets off his dead a... and gets them posted.

We'll have a printed copy at our table in Phoenix.

Happy to see this is coming along.  I am looking foreword to the instructions alone.  Your sheet is the reason I will buy a F4U-1D and build it.  I actually go on the site and read all of your instruction sheets just to learn from the work you have done.  I can’t build everything but I enjoy looking.  I plan to use one of your sheets for a Spitfire IX also.  

Since posting above, I have had a chance to look at these online and they are stunning.  I started reading the instructions that go with them and this will keep Corsair fans working hard.  One certain fan on this site may have to start all over building Corsairs.

Edited by cbk57