SH Tempest from Germany ⚡ 1:32

Hi all,

I started Special Hobby High Tech 2 kit Tempest MK V. Its a mix of nicely done details, not worse from mainstream kits with old-time imperfections bonded with their earlier short runs - for example cockpit collides with wheel bays, wheel bays with wing halves, gaps between fuselage and wings. I will skip adding engine, its a petty but this requires cutting and trimming plastic, lot of work basically.
I found this scheme of Tempest from first years after war when RAF stationed in Germany. Fortunately Montex was producing mask for PCM containing W2-Y. Some details like bell and question mark was not provided.

HYARVyp.png

yQ6AZu3.jpeg

I will add Eduard PE with IP and some cockpit details.

mn5b5sQ.png

This is my idea on spinner correction, I glued plastic "core" from old droptank then poured few layers of two-component epoxy glue. When it cured I sanded and used Tamiya (thicker) and Gunze (thinner Surfacer 1200) for correcting small imperfections.

iS2lkQR.jpeg

Cockpit ready for paint,  rear "wall" needs to be sanded to not expand fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Great start and a superb subject, I'm pretty fond of the Typhoon/Tempest family.

Cheers

Dennis

Let’s make that a Hurricane/Typhoon/Tempest family and I’d agree with you Dennis! :D
Those fit issues don’t give me any confidence in doing the SH kit though, pretty poor show I reckon.

A possible solution to the underside wing/ fuselage would be to score across  the inside of the wings just in front of the lamp recess then glue that section with tube glue and wrap it tightly with rubber bands. I haven’t tried it on the thicker plastic of a 1/32 kit but it’s worked worked for me on 1/48 in the past.

Good luck.

John

Cockpit finished, resin seat and HGW seatbelts from the box. I added Eduard instrument panel.

qU70ng0.jpeg

gWu0KJK.jpeg

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

A possible solution to the underside wing/ fuselage would be to score across  the inside of the wings just in front of the lamp recess then glue that section with tube glue and wrap it tightly with rubber bands. I haven’t tried it on the thicker plastic of a 1/32 kit but it’s worked worked for me on 1/48 in the past.

Good luck.

John

Thank you John, I decided to bend underside fuselage part to met with fuselage halves.

Progress - fuselage closed. I always check correct wings lift, in kit fuselage pushes them so they're facing down too much. Maybe that's not perfect comparison but it is some reference.
WcShF2o.png

This gap needs to be filled, it was not existant on real plane:

Iw1RFcM.jpeg

gap behind engine cover, i filled it with CA glue then cleaned with Debonder - CA remover.

2r0TL4Q.jpeg

to be continued...

Painting stage, all of "decorations" painted using mask or handpainted like bell-emblem on tail (not perfect but had no decals unfortunately). Im not a fan of black-basing rather like to brighten surface using surfacer as a base, then I modulated primary colors making efects of worn metal surface. I will use decal roundels i'm not patient enought to mask them :).

EZWmIl7.jpeg

bmsPhMw.jpeg

akcnnfd.jpeg

Fts0vjr.jpeg

LYQzOi5.jpeg