SH Tempest from Germany ⚡ 1:32

Decals and wash applied. Rivet lines are inconsistent in depth so after flooding them with black they look exaggerated, so I used white-gray in places. I used this mixture (and brown/light brown Tamiya enamels) to add some worn effect, dust streaks, smudges where it was most "tormented" by maintanance. Even front canopy doesn't fit perfectly, some sanding needed...

8LR5wAy.jpeg

EP6Gzz8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 8:03 AM, mozart said:

Really excellent! I’ve never seen a WW2 fighter with those large serials on the lower wings, I’d be interested to know when that was introduced. 

It was introduced post-war, and tbh I've only ever seen them that large in proportion to the wings on the Tempest.  Even then, some Tempests used a smaller size serial.  I'll have another dig in my copy of The Typhoon and Tempest Story (Thomas and Shores) to see if I can find anything more definitive.

Edit: It just occurred to me to have a look at the instructions in the SH Tempest II: this provides three marking options, one of which has smaller serials, and two which have large serials, both presented slightly differently.  https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/6/5/1014465-51-instructions.pdf

Edited by MikeC