Hawker Typhoons in 1/32 scale?

mozart

The MDC canopy could perhaps do with a bit more "definition" regarding the framing but that's easily fixed with some canopy masks that I'll be making, though I'm also very happy to have one Squadron canopy too.  Vac canopies scare the life out of me!:wacko:

Edited by mozart

Morning chaps,

Interesting thread. I am currently working on a Revell Tiffy combining the Barracuda Tempest nose correction.

After two major RAF Phantom conversions I wanted something simpler hohum.^_^

Although I always liked the Revell kit, though basic by todays standards, it’’s a good starting point. But

the starboard cowling panel never seems to fit without serious filling and sanding.

The fit of the resin is doable but the difference in wing thickness should be interesting.

Has anyone experience with such a conversion?

Cheers

Cees

Good to see you jump in Cees, and that’s certainly an interesting upgrade you’re doing, not one that I’d thought of. Do you have any photos of progress etc? 

On 1/19/2024 at 3:39 AM, thierry laurent said:

Years ago it was possible to get resin bubbletop canopies from Paul Fisher... I'm quite happy I got one for my MDC Tiffie!

Me too! I grabbed a couple back in the day after I got my MDC Typhoon ...

I wasn't feeling secure about internet purchases (outside of eBay) at the time, so I made a phone call to Paul in the USA to talk to him before I sent the cash through - Lovely guy! ... Conversation went for about 30 mins ... awesome guy!

I understood why everyone was harping on about the difference between vac form, IM and resin when they arrived too :wub:

Rog :)

Ok, question for the Typhoon/Tempest experts! I will be building PCM’s Tempest Vc at some point this year, but the prop blades and spinner aren’t that convincing. Can I use the spare four-bladed prop that I have in my MDC Typhoon kit…did the later Typhoon and Tempest use the same props? 

20 minutes ago, mozart said:

Ok, question for the Typhoon/Tempest experts! I will be building PCM’s Tempest Vc at some point this year, but the prop blades and spinner aren’t that convincing. Can I use the spare four-bladed prop that I have in my MDC Typhoon kit…did the later Typhoon and Tempest use the same props? 

I do not remember if the propeller blades were identical but the spinner of the Tempest was slightly different (shape of the four notches).

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually I would prefer a Typhoon with an engine as the Sabre is a so large brute mass of moving steel it deserves to be at least partly shown! Well at least to my eyes. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. After building the Airfix Tiffy , I came to appreciate just how involved that engine is . I'll just bet it was a howl working on those, kinda like designed by lunatics to be worked on by maniacs ! A lot of beer went into the design!

On 1/20/2024 at 9:22 AM, Cees Broere said:

Morning chaps,

Interesting thread. I am currently working on a Revell Tiffy combining the Barracuda Tempest nose correction.

After two major RAF Phantom conversions I wanted something simpler hohum.^_^

Although I always liked the Revell kit, though basic by todays standards, it’’s a good starting point. But

the starboard cowling panel never seems to fit without serious filling and sanding.

The fit of the resin is doable but the difference in wing thickness should be interesting.

Has anyone experience with such a conversion?

Cheers

Cees

I wouldn't do that for a simple reason: even if similar the radiator fairings of both planes were actually quite different. The area under the bottom front lip was drastically different. The bottom of the Typhoon fairing was flatter.